Long Term Substitute
Job Title: Long Term Substitute Teacher
Supervisor: Principal/ Supervising Teacher
Location: Essex High School, James H. Cary Intermediate School, Tappahannock Elementary School
2023-2024 School year
Pay: Dependent on Qualifications
Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment favorable to learning and personal growth of every student; establishing effective rapport with students; motivating students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for becoming a responsible citizen in accordance with each pupil’s ability; and to establish good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
The minimum performance expectations include, but are not limited to, the following functions/tasks:
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the goals, establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and to communicate these objectives to students, as adopted by the local and state Board of Education.
- Reports to the building principal and supervising teacher.
- Maintains as fully as possible the established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which assigned.
- Teaches lesson plan as outlined by the supervising teacher.
- Performs all extra duties for the absent teacher as required by the building principal.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate superior.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation, pertaining to teacher and students.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Continuously strives to improve professional competence and collaboration with colleagues and communities.
- Promotes public relations for the school’s programs and activities.
- Reports any unusual occurrence or event to the principal or the designated representative immediately.
- Remains at school during the entire school day unless excused by the principal or the designated representative.
- Implements all rules and regulations, policies and administrative guidelines as adopted by the building level principal and the Board of Education.
- Maintains a professional appearance as an example for students.
- Demonstrates knowledge and incorporates technology in daily tasks, as required.
- Maintains regular attendance and punctuality.
- Adheres to the professional expectations established by Essex County Public Schools.
- Performs other duties consistent with the position as may be requested by the Principal/ Teacher Supervisor
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Must complete all background checks
- High school diploma
- 2 year or 4 year college degree preferred, but not required
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds; and to bend, stoop, sit on the floor, climb stairs, walk and reach overhead.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in a school/classroom environment. Duties may be occasionally performed on field trips away from school. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.