Health/Physical Education Teacher - Secondary
HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER (Secondary)
Responsible for creating a classroom environment that fosters, promotes and develops an understanding of the relationship of healthy body function and exercise; motivates each student to cultivate physical fitness, and appropriate social and emotional adjustment; discovers and develops talents of students in physical achievement; and develops strength, skill, agility, poise, and coordination in individual, dual and team physical activities and sports, in accordance with each student’s ability.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in physical fitness, health education, and individual, dual or team sports, utilizing curriculum designated by Essex County Public Schools and other appropriate learning activities.
- Works cooperatively with other physical education teachers in planning and implementing a balanced physical education program.
- Analyzes, demonstrates, and explains basic skills, knowledge and strategies of formal sports, games, rhythms, and fundamentals of body movement.
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the division’s basic instructional philosophy and congruent with course and SOL standards; provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and subgroups of students.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior to provide an orderly, productive environment in the physical education areas.
- Provides appropriate safety instruction and makes safety checks on equipment and field areas to ensure the overall safety of students.
- Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, and keeps appropriate records to include attendance reports, checklists, census forms, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary.
- Maintains control of storage and use of school property.
- Evaluates each student’s growth in physical skills, knowledge and contribution in team sports.
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress.
- Supervises students in out of classroom activities during the assigned working day.
- Administers testing in accordance with division testing practices.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings and other professional activities.
- Participates in various student and parent activities which occur in school including PTA, student clubs and after-school activities.
- Creates an effective learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and activity/learning centers.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be eligible for, or in possession or an appropriate Virginia teaching license. Must possess ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Must hold or be eligible for a Virginia teaching license with appropriate endorsement in Health and Physical Education PreK-12.
Experience as a secondary health and physical education teacher preferred.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt