Long Term School Counseling Substitute
Job | Posted a month ago
|Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
POSITION: Long-Term Substitute Counselor
- Pay scale: $25.00/hour
- Hours: 7.5 hours per day
- Location: Assigned to a specific school/teacher
The Long-Term Substitute Counselor, under the supervision of an experienced school counselor, is responsible for providing students with academic, social-emotional, and career development opportunities through classroom lessons, individual counseling, and group counseling. Additionally, the long-term substitute counselor will assist in providing preventative and responsive services to all students to maximize each student’s individual potential towards rigorous achievement. The long-term substitute counselor works the regular hours of the absent counselor.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in school counseling or related field preferred
- Previous experience working with groups of children desired.
- Ability to work with various levels of students.
- Previous substitute experience with MPCS preferred.
- In conjunction with an experienced school counselor, deliver the school counseling core curriculum via classroom instruction with reinforcements delivered through small group instruction and/or individual instruction towards high student achievement.
- With support from an experienced school counselor - teach developmentally appropriate lessons, deliver group activities to promote an academic, career, or social/emotional development in partnership with other counselors and/or teaching staff.
- Co-lead the academic advisement process with individual students to develop academic and career plans based on each individual student’s interests, abilities, skills, and achievements.
- Under the supervision of an experienced school counselor - provide responsive services based on academic, career, and social/emotional data to provide short-term solution-focused counseling interventions.
- Under the supervision of an experienced school counselor – provide crisis response to assist students with a variety of social-emotional and mental health concerns and make appropriate referrals to outside mental health providers when necessary.
- Maintain a variety of confidential and non-confidential student records.
- Participate in a variety of professional learning opportunities to include meetings, workshops, and committees related to performing school counseling functions and remain knowledgeable with program guidelines.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public through the
use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions will be required.
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Screening
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties, as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.