23-24 School Counselor
Job | Posted 3 months ago
|Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
POSITION: SCHOOL COUNSELOR
- Pay scale: Licensed Personnel Salary Scale: https://www.mpark.net/departments/human_resources
- Position Length: 10 months/200 days
- Hours: Full time unless otherwise specified
The School Counselor is responsible for the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of the comprehensive school counseling program in alignment with the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) national model. The School Counselor provides all students with academic, social-emotional, and career development opportunities through classroom lessons, individual counseling, and group counseling. School Counselors work to provide preventative and responsive services to all students to maximize each student’s individual potential towards rigorous achievement. School counselors are the liaison between the school administration, teachers and other school staff, parents and families, and the larger MPCS community to support all developmental aspects of a student’s schooling. The School Counselor assists students as they explore and plan their post-secondary pathways. This position reports to the principal/assistant principal.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
- Must hold a Master's degree in school counseling, representing intensive course work in the principles and practice of school counseling as it aligns with the ASCA national model. This includes developmentally appropriate counseling services related to academic instruction, interpretation of educational testing; social and emotional counseling; organizational and administrative school counseling services; and supporting students with the application of learning.
- Valid Virginia Department of Education license with an endorsement in School Counseling or eligibility to obtain one.
- Must demonstrate effective knowledge of and be sensitive to the needs of a diverse student population.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with students, parents and school personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: (including but not limited to the following)
- Complies with all school laws, State Board of Education regulations, and all policies and regulations made by the School Board and Superintendent.
- Performs all duties deemed necessary by the School Board and Superintendent for the efficient and successful operation of the school system.
- Define and focus the comprehensive school counseling program in response to the needs of students based on the schools’ academic, attendance, and behavioral data.
- Identify student needs through data collection and analysis and in consultation with school administrators, teachers, and other school staff to enhance program development.
- Deliver the school counseling core curriculum via classroom instruction with reinforcements delivered through small group instruction and/or individual instruction towards high student achievement.
- Teach developmentally appropriate lessons, deliver group activities to promote an academic, career, or social/emotional development in partnership with other counselors and/or teaching staff.
- Lead the academic advisement process with individual students to develop academic and career plans based on each individual student’s interests, abilities, skills, and achievements.
- Provide responsive services based on academic, career, and social/emotional data to provide short-term solution-focused counseling interventions.
- Crisis response to assist students with a variety of social-emotional and mental health concerns and make appropriate referrals to outside mental health providers when necessary.
- Consult and work in collaboration with other members of the Student Support Team and community partners in support of positive social-emotional development and overall mental health.
- Conduct student and parent workshops and/or presentations on a variety of academic, social-emotional, and career topics.
- Collaborate to coordinate college visits, career day, student work, and volunteer opportunities to include educational and career assessments related to student interests.
- Maintain a variety of confidential and non-confidential student records.
- Participate in a variety of professional learning opportunities to include meetings, workshops, and committees related to performing school counseling functions and remain knowledgeable with program guidelines.
- Prepare a variety of documents, reports, and written materials (e.g. emails, individual awards, invitations, event programs, bulletins, reports, etc.) to effectively communicate information to parents and staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the school counseling department.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public through the
use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions will be required.
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Screening
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.