Instructional Assistant - Special Education
Job | Posted 2 months ago
|Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
POSITION: INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (SPECIAL EDUCATION)
- Pay scale: IA -Sped Grade G, Non-Exempt: https://www.mpark.net/departments/human_resources
- Position Length: 7.5 hours 186 days
- Hours: Full time unless otherwise specified
To assist in the supervision and instruction of special needs students in the general education or special education classroom under the supervision of a certified special education teacher; observing and documenting student progress; implementing plans for instruction and behavior, and providing clerical support to the teacher. The Instructional Assistant reports to the special education teacher and/or the school-based administrator.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
- High school diploma or equivalency required.
- Previous experience working with groups of children desired.
- Ability to work with various ability levels of student.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and directions in carrying out tasks and procedures related to instructional and behavioral plans.
- Ability to assist teacher with instructional activities and classroom management.
- Must possess interpersonal communication skills and the professional and personal characteristics necessary for working with parents, students and school personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: (including but not limited to the following)
- Complies with all school laws, State Board of Education regulations, and all policies and regulations made by the School Board and Superintendent.
- Performs all duties deemed necessary by the School Board and Superintendent for the efficient and successful operation of the school system.
- Confers with teachers on a regular basis to assisting in evaluating special education student progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Implements academic instruction taught by a special education teacher for individuals or small groups. Implements behavioral plans designed by the IEP team for students with behavior challenges or other special conditions for assisting in meeting special education students' needs and providing a consistent environment.
- Instructs special education students (e.g. math groups, science experiments, reading, behavioral skills, daily living skills, writing, verbal skills, etc.). under the supervision of the special education teacher.
- Maintains instructional materials and/or student files/records (e.g. adapting instructional materials, student files, checking papers, attendance, audiovisual equipment, set up art/science projects, etc.).
- Monitors special education students (e.g. lunch, playground, during life enrichment activities, etc.).
- Performs record keeping (daily data on instruction and/or behavior) and clerical functions (e.g. correcting papers, copying, instructional materials, etc.) to support the special education teacher.
- Carries out instructional plans as designated by the classroom teacher and the student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP),
- Assists in the preparation of instructional materials.
- Assists classroom teacher in maintaining appropriate level of classroom behavior and control.
- Helps students individually and in small groups on assignments and activities.
- Supervises students in the absence of the classroom teacher.
- Performs clerical and instructional duties as assigned by the classroom teacher and/or building principal.
- Assists teacher with maintenance of instructional materials, equipment and bulletin boards.
- Attends in-service and workshop meetings as assigned by the building principal and Director of Special Programs.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the principal, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public through the
use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions will be required.
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Screening
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.