TITLE: SCHOOL BUS DRIVER
1. Possess a valid Commercial Driver’s license with the proper passenger endorsement and school bus endorsement
2. Attained a minimum of five years licensed driving experience
3. Successful completion of state approved training course for school bus drivers
4. Demonstrates aptitude for supervising children
5. Demonstrates the ability to prepare required written reports
REPORTS TO: Route Coordinator / Manager
JOB GOAL: To provide safe and efficient transportation to enable students to realize the benefits of the district’s curriculum and extra-curricular programs.
1. Obeys all traffic laws.
2. Observes all mandatory safety regulations for school buses.
3. Maintains discipline when students are on the bus.
4. Reports undisciplined students to the proper authority.
5. Keeps assigned bus clean.
6. Adheres to assigned schedule.
7. Performs proper pre-trip inspection as prescribed prior to each operation.
8. Notifies the proper authority in case of mechanical failure or lateness.
9. To allow students to load or unload the bus only at authorized stops.
10. Exercises responsible leadership on all extra-curricular trips.
11. Transports only authorized persons.
12. Reports all accidents and completes required reports.
13. Enforces regulations against smoking and eating on the bus.
14. Attends all required safety and training sessions.
15. Prepares and submits in a timely manner all required reports, including Driver’s Monthly Report, Weekly Pre-trip Inspection Roster, F.T.E. surveys, extra-curricular trip reports, etc.
16. Complies with all requirements of the Transportation Department directives, School Board policies, and State Board of Education rules.
17. Operates the bus side-lift for loading and unloading students in wheelchairs. Secures the wheelchairs into place on the bus when applicable.
18. Performs other related duties as required (NOTE: the omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
19. Assumes the responsibility to report for evacuation shelter support in the event of an emergency and any other duties assigned during an emergency evacuation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force as needed to move objects. In an emergency, worker may be required to restrain a physically active individual as a temporary safety precaution.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and work year to be established by the Board.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated by the Route Coordinator / Manager under the direction of the Area Assistant Superintendent