Director of Design and Construction
Must hold a license issued by any agency.
The license status must be active.
NEWARK PUBLIC SCHOOLS TALENT OFFICE 765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102 ROGER LEON, SUPERINTENDENT
Announcement of Vacancy
Director of Design and Construction - Office of Facilities Management and Operations
(Pending availability of funds and Board of Education approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the aforementioned position.
o Master’s degree in Architecture from an accredited college or university.
o Architectural license issued by the New Jersey Board of Architects (required).
o Five (5) or more years of experience in the design of large buildings and structures.
o Experience in the preparation of architectural plans and drawings.
o Experience in the supervision of personnel, budgeting and record keeping.
o Experience in delivering training programs and leading initiatives or change is a plus.
o Knowledge of NJDCA Codes and Regulations; familiarity with Pre K-12 School Construction and NJDOE Regulation. Extensive knowledge of general design and construction, construction codes and the regulatory environment affecting development.
o Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of modern architectural design and engineering and their most effective utilization and adaptation to specific projects.
o Solid knowledge of SDA and NJDOE procedures as it relates to the design and construction of NJ school buildings.
o Superior leadership, managerial and communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate strategy and vision. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
o Strong attention to detail in writing, coaching, advising, presenting, influencing and negotiating.
o Ability to develop and foster meaningful client relationships with all levels in the organization.
o Possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to demonstrate diplomacy and tact while developing positive relationships with leaders and key stakeholders both internal and external to NPS.
o Ability to use analysis, experience, and logical methods to make good decisions and solve problems with effective solutions.
o Demonstrated ability to work in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment.
o Ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders and viewpoints to develop creative solutions to problems.
Under the direction of the Executive Director of Facilities Management and Operations, the Director of Design and Construction is responsible for overseeing any activities involving new construction or renovation/refurbishment to any existing NPS facilities. The Director of Design and Construction has the responsibility and accountability to effectively develop and manage staff resources, budgets, and assets to satisfy defined project goals and deliver quality results within budget and schedules. The Director of Design and Construction must be able to effectively provide strategic leadership and coordinate activities with all parties involved, including senior management, school district personnel, and various State Agencies and staff. In addition, the Director will provide guidance to technical professionals and support staff to define and manage advancement of project elements in recognition of district fiscal responsibility and in support of student needs. This includes, but is not limited to, oversight responsibilities for project planning, design and construction management as well as administrative and operations management. Effectively manage and ensure processes and work product are in compliance with District Policy and Procedures, Contracts, Statutory and Regulatory requirements. Residency in New Jersey is a requirement for consideration for this position in accordance with the New Jersey First Act.
• Manage all activities involving any change to the existing structure of NPS, including new construction, renovation, and the refurbishment of NPS facilities.
• Coordinate, supervise and approve the work of all architects and engineers, including outside vendors in this regard.
• Manage all architectural and engineering contracts, payment disbursements, selections of outside firms and change orders.
• Ensure the recommended additions or changes to the NPS buildings and structures support and facilitate the educational process.
• Comply with all local building codes and develop construction specifications consistent with energy efficient standards and conservation.
• Review and recommend for approval Amendments and Construction Change Orders, ensuring that work represents work truly additional to base scope and the solution to issue a change and the specific scope represents the most appropriate alternative considering all appropriate analytical considerations, including cost, schedules and other project logistics in accordance with NJSDA Operating Authority and policy and procedures.
• Act as a liaison between NJSDA, and school district facilities personnel regarding ongoing and potential projects. Establish and maintain outstanding relationships by resolving issues quickly, delivering the project within scope and schedule parameters, while simultaneously protecting the financial interests of the District.
• Maintain a current inventory of alternative NPS school sites in case of damage to existing NPS buildings.
• Coordinate training and technical assistance for all design and construction employees by giving them suitable assignments and instructions.
• Evaluate the need for personal equipment and supplies.
• Participate in ongoing educational training to keep informed on technological advances in the design and construction field.
• Perform all other duties and responsibilities consistent with the department’s goals in order to meet the needs of the district schools or other Central Office Departments.
Executive Director of Facilities Management and Operations
Salary, Terms & Affiliation
Salary: Compensation is competitive and based on experience. The expected salary range for this position is $110,000-$125,000.
Employment Period: Twelve (12) Months
Union Affiliation: Unaffiliated
How To Apply
Newark Public Schools only accepts electronic applications. Electronic applications can be found at https://npsssvc.nps.k12.nj.us/psc/ehire/ERECRUIT/EHIRE/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1
If you do not have access to a computer, we welcome you to visit the Newark Public Schools employment kiosks located at 765 Broad Street, on the 2nd floor Talent Office reception area between the hours of 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. Help will be available.
Open and Close Dates
OPENING DATE: June 28, 2018
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Equal Employment Opportunity
NEWARK PUBLIC SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER