High School Spanish Teacher
ACE Technical Charter High School is seeking a dedicated educator and school leader to serve as an Spanish teacher for the 2017-2018 school year.
ACE Technical Charter High School serves approximately 400 students from Chicago's Back of the Yards, Washington Park and Englewood neighborhoods. ACE Tech was founded in 2004 to increase the number of urban, low-income, minority, and female youth who enter the architecture, construction, and engineering professions. While many students are interested in these professions, ACE Tech caters to students with a wide variety of interests and aspirations. The student body demographic is 66% Black and 28% Hispanic. 95% of students are low income and 15% are in special education programs. ACE Tech's mission is to provide for our students the highest levels of instruction and academic achievement combined with exemplary character development that will prepare them for postsecondary and apprenticeship education and sustained lifelong success.
- Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university
- Valid Illinois Teaching Certificate
- At least 2 years of teaching experience in an urban high school setting is preferred
- Exemplary rapport with students and colleagues
- Hard worker that does whatever it takes to achieve desired results
- Enjoys being part of a team
- Passionate about the opportunity to positively affect student outcomes and school culture
- Design or implement/modify Spanish curriculum appropriate for given content and grade level. Create a year-long curriculum map of the units that will be covered during your class within approximate time frames
- Create detailed unit plans using Understanding by Design backwards planning in which the goals of the unit (content and skill standards) and their assessment are the starting point for planning as well as weekly standards-based lesson plans
- Participate in curriculum development and feedback systems in order to ensure long term planning and effective feedback loops. Unit plans are reviewed by the English department, discussed and collaborated on multiple weeks in advance of the unit launch.
- Use best practices in the classroom to engage students and drive student achievement
- Create and maintain a fair grading system, updating student grades once a week
- Monitor attendance, grades and behavior of all students and keep parents updated on student struggles and progress
- Participate in required staff meetings:
- Bi-weekly department meeting
- Bi-weekly grade level meetings
- Bi-weekly professional development
- Attend summer professional development opportunities and curriculum planning workshops.
Applicants will be screened initially by phone, then invited to ACE Technical Charter High School to give a 20-30 minute sample lesson followed by a formal interview. Finalists will then submit to a background check and fingerprinting.