Special Education Teacher
Applicants must hold a valid Mississippi educator license with endorsement code: 221 & 910. Send a letter of interest and resume (including references) to Mrs. Martha Hanna, principal, at email@example.com
Job Title: Special Education Teacher
Reports To: Director of Special Services & School Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Special Education Teacher, serves as a specialist to support students who are found eligible for special education services. The teacher works in a program designed to provide a less restrictive alternative to the segregated special classroom. It provides an appropriate educational program for mild to moderately handicapped students who require support services in order to access and benefit from general education instruction. The teacher provides students with direct remedial instruction in academic subjects, cognitive processing and appropriate social skills. In addition to these specific individualized programs, the staff may assist general education classroom teachers through co-teaching, team teaching and with selection of appropriate curricula and the development of behavior management programs. Students enrolled in the special services classes receive the majority of their educational instruction within the general education curriculum and setting. The teacher will follow the regulations associated with IDEA, FAPE, and procedural safeguards and IEP development and implementation. The teacher works under the supervision of the principal and administrator in charge of Student Services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education
- Must have and maintain a valid license through the Mississippi Department of Education in special education and multi-subject endorsements appropriate for the student who will be taught.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet District, State, and Federal Requirements, including; Displays knowledge of procedures, policies, and regulations, incorporates requirements into work habits, follows corrective procedures, Maintains proper and sufficient documentation.
- Conduct Specialized Student Assessments and Evaluations, including; Is well-versed in a multitude of measurement techniques, selects appropriate measurement tools, is accurate and complete in clerical aspects of measurement, clearly communicates analysis of results and recommendations clearly.
- Establish and Facilitate Meetings and Discussions, including; Identifies situations requiring group discussion, Organizes and facilitates effective meetings, involving all participants, follows up and monitors any intended actions and outcomes.
- Consult with Others to Develop Plan that Guide Appropriate Instruction and Other Services for Students, including; Works effectively as a member of a team, contributes creative solutions to problems, assumes case management responsibilities when necessary, uses training and experience to support classroom instruction.
- Utilize Support Personnel, including; Determines skills and abilities of assigned support personnel, Delegates duties to provide the most effective opportunities for students, Monitors the effectiveness of the support personnel and provides direction and training as needed, supervises interns as needed.
- Demonstrates Responsiveness in Supporting Teachers’ Instructional Needs, including; Supports instruction by being aware of teachers’ resource needs, searches out and provides, or makes teachers aware of, available and appropriate learning resources, Consults with teachers regarding appropriate use of resources.
- Provide Effective Direct Service to Students, Families, and Colleagues, including; Takes initiative in determining needed services, provides developmentally appropriate face-to-face services, based on the staff member’s recognized level of competence, displays unconditionally positive regard with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, displays flexibility in the nature and location of services provided, Communicates skillfully to each audience.
- Engages in the Determination of and Provision of Primary Prevention Activities When Needed, including; Recognizes need for prevention, involves others in the planning and delivery of prevention activities, Performs prevention, follow-up, and program evaluation activities.
- Create and/or Coordinate School-wide or Community Programs to Support Students and Families, including; Demonstrates thorough knowledge of a variety of developmental assets, resiliency/protective factors, and related community supports, engages in a variety of activities to create programs that support students and families, evaluates intended outcomes of programs created.
- Participate in professional in-service and ongoing training to further develop specialized skills.
- Fulfills all other related duties as assigned.
- Fulfills working conditions and physical effort listed below.
- Demonstrates proficiency in planning and preparation of instruction for students.
- Create an environment of respect and create a culture of learning through proficient classroom procedures and appropriate management of student behavior.
- Demonstrates proficient strategies for instruction, including; communication with students, using questioning techniques, use of engagement strategies and demonstrating flexibility and responsiveness to student instructional needs.
- Demonstrates professional responsibilities, including; reflecting on teaching, maintaining accurate records, communication with families, participating in a professional learning
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk; sit; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms using a keyboard and video display terminal. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 55 pounds and occasionally up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is a standard office setting and school/classroom combined with a server room. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate and occasionally high.
|Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. The job description is not a contract or employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems advisable.|