Posted 3 years ago
Lead Teacher/Department Head
TEACHER OF EXCEPTIONAL EDUCATION
1. Proper certification as required by the Mississippi Educator Licensure Department.
2. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Principal and/or Special Services Director
JOB GOAL: Provides exceptional students with appropriate instructional services in accordance with each student's Individualized Educational Plan (IEP).
1. Write, develop, maintain, and monitor a case record of students and their I.E.P's.
2. Assist principal, counselor, and classroom teachers in scheduling classes.
3. Confer with classroom teachers and parents to discuss plans and decisions regarding the appropriate educational program for students with special needs.
4. Assist with screening of students for the local survey committee.
5. Assist with assessment of students who are in the evaluation process within specified timeline.
6. Prepare an Individual Education Plan for each child, taking into consideration his/her strengths and weaknesses as determined by the Assessment Team Report.
7. Prepare written reports regarding the nature of the problems, pertinent information, test results, conclusions and specific suggestions as requested by the appropriate authority.
8. Schedule initial and follow-up appointments for parental conferences concerning each child's IEP.
9. Guide students in individual learning experiences as determined by their IEP.
10. Plan and carry out expressive encounters (field trips, resource persons, etc.) relating to the student's IEP.
11. Assist other staff members in providing education services for all students.
12. Counsel individuals and groups of exceptional students with educational, occupational, and personal situations.
13. Maintain accurate educational records for each child.
14. Keep attendance records and all other pertinent records.
15. Participate in district, department, and individual school in-service meetings.
16. Promote professional growth through participation in subject-related workshops and meetings, and through the reading of current literature.
17. Provide staff development as deemed necessary by the appropriate authority.
18. Assume additional responsibilities as deemed necessary by the appropriate authority.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and work year to be established by the Board of Trustees.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.