Posted 3 years ago
ELEMENTARY CLASSROOM TEACHER
1. Proper certification as required by the State of Mississippi.
2. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Principal
SUPERVISES: Teacher Assistant and/or volunteers if assigned.
JOB GOAL: To create a flexible elementary grade program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; to establish effective rapport with pupils; to motivate pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for upper elementary grade education, in accordance with each pupil's ability; to establish good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
1. Teaches reading, language arts, social studies, mathematics, science, art, health, physical education, and music to pupils in a classroom, utilizing course of study adopted by the Board of Education, and other appropriate learning activities.
2. Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
4. Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
5. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
6. Evaluates pupils' academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
7. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupil's progress and interpret the school program.
8. Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
9. Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers.
10. Maintain professional competence through inservice education activities provided by the district and/or self-selected professional growth activities.
11. Participates cooperatively with the appropriate administrator to develop the method by which he/she will be evaluated in conformance with district guidelines.
12. Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids; maintains required inventory records.
13. Reports on time to duty post and performs duty responsibilities as assigned by school administration.
14. Administers group standardized tests in accordance with district testing program.
15. Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
16. Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of pupil activities.
- Is punctual and provides supervision of their assigned students during the entire school day.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Principal.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and work year to be established by the Board of Trustees.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.