POSITION: Media Specialist
EFFECTIVE: 2015-2016 School Year
LOCATION: Various Locations
NATURE OF WORK:
This is a professional position to meet the instructional goals of the school and school system by delivering instructional programs effectively to ensure student achievement.
- Direct and evaluate student learning experiences;
- Provide guidance to students to promote education development and welfare;
- Provide care and protection of school property;
- Supervise student activity on school property; and
- Plan and coordinate the instructional program in accordance with the current curricula.
- Plans instruction that enriches and extends classroom instruction and integrates the Library Media Learning Outcomes;
- Plans collaboratively with faculty to ensure the integration of information literacy skills into all curricular areas;
- Guides students to develop comprehension skills through exposure to a variety of reading material as well as to comprehend, interpret, analyze and evaluate informational sources and literature;
- Teaches SMCPS Network Usage Standards;
- Instructs students in the use of productivity, presentation software, audio/video production, and multimedia productions in the context of content area instruction;
- Provides instruction and demonstration lessons illustrating the appropriate use of technology, appropriate materials, strategies and techniques for effective use of new technologies in various content areas;
- Assists staff as needed in information retrieval, media production, and in the use of electronic resources;
- Assists teachers in individualizing instruction in media outcomes for special populations such as ESL, special education, and gifted/talented;
- Provides in-service instruction on the use of materials, programs and equipment to faculty and staff: Train staff in the use of computer equipment and implementation procedures to ensure proper maintenance of this equipment;
- Provides in-service instruction in the use of library media materials and equipment;
- Instructs staff in the use of productivity, presentation software, audio/video production, and multimedia productions in the context of content area instruction;
- Continuously updates personal knowledge about new technologies in PDP;
- Collaborates with principals, school improvement teams, and instructional supervisors to plan for the appropriate uses of technology for instruction;
- Supervises supporting clerical and technical staff assigned to the media center;
- Prepares plans for keeping the resources collection and network technology current;
- Compiles a collection development policy based on the St. Mary’s County Library Media Program and site-related data;
- Provides opportunities for the faculty and students to participate in the selection and evaluation of materials on the Library Media Technology Committee;
- Maintains accurate records as required for state, county, and school reports;
- Creates a school library media center climate which encourages students and faculty to take full advantage of its resources;
- Solicits feedback from all users to assist in program evaluation and the continuous improvement of services;
- Provides network assistance for the school-wide network, classroom computers, and computer lab;
- Coordinates the overall implementation of use of computer hardware and software in the school;
- Participates in co-curricular activities;
- Maintains accurate student attendance;
- Assists students with learning activities;
- Takes part in professional development activities;
- Cooperates with students and staff;
- Maintains open lines of communications with students, staff and parents;
- Maintains current lesson plans;
- Serves as primary technology contact; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Possess professional certification for the appropriate teaching level;
- Demonstrate knowledge of curriculum, instruction, staff development, and assessment process; and
- Possess the ability to relate well with students, colleagues, parents, and staff.
Full-time ten-month position.
SALARY GRADE RANGE:
The salary for this position will be based on the appropriate position on the licensed professional’s salary schedule (#4).
BARGAINING UNIT ELIGIBILITY: EASMC