POSITION TITLE: Preschool Assistant/Paraprofessional
REPORTS TO: Lead Teacher/Lead Caregiver
This position is employed through the Mahoning County Regional Council of Governments
This position assists classroom preschool teachers and others in providing programs and services to children with disabilities.
POSITION SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the preparation of materials
- Asist in the preparation of snacks and meals
- Assist in organizing, set up and removal of equipment and materials
- Assist in clean up such as trash removal and cleaning floors, tables, chairs, dishes, etc.
- Assist in creating and maintaining an educational learning environment
- Assist the teacher in the administration of assessment tools (i.e., Indicators of Success Observations)
- Assist the teacher in the implementation of large group, small group, and individual activities, based upon Indicators of Success
- Assist the teacher in maintaining control of the classroom by use of positive guidance techniques
- Exhibit an attitude of respect to parents in the classroom, and in all other encounters (i.e., monthly parent meetings, trainings, committees, etc.)
- Assist parents who volunteer in the classroom
- Exhibit professional attitude and speech at all times
- Attend all required meetings, training sessions and in-services
- Maintain current required personal data to meet employment requirements, including but not limited to the following:
- Current Physical Exam
- High School Diploma or GED
- Educational Aide Permit through ODE
- Current FBI/BCI clearances, Conviction Statement, Police Record
- References (after 9/86)
- Maintain and Secure First Aid, CPR, Recognition and Prevention of Child Abuse, Recognition and Prevention of Communicable Diseases, and other certifications as directed.
1. Is regular and prompt in attendance.
2. Seeks opportunities to improve skills and grow professionally.
3. Prepares an annual professional development plan that links professional growth with MCESC and other assigned goals.
4. Attends and actively participates in all required/assigned training sessions, meetings and other responsibilities.
5. Provides quality service to both internal and external colleagues and customers.
6. Seeks opportunities to participate as a productive member of MCESC, school district, and other committees and teams.
7. Generates internal and external support for MCESC services.
8. Represents the MCESC and its service schools with professionalism at all times.
9. Cooperates with and supports all service district regulations, standards and expectations.
10. Demonstrates at all times integrity and ethical behavior.
11. Responds quickly to directions for improvement from supervisors.
12. Maintains confidentiality in all job related discussions and communications.
OTHER EXPECTATIONS AND DEMONSTRATED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Possesses a valid Ohio driver's license.
2. Reads, analyzes and interprets data and reports.
3. Writes reports, correspondence and other appropriate communiqués.
4. Presents information and responds to questions effectively and efficiently.
5. Accomplishes routine tasks in a routine manner.
6. Prioritizes tasks, requirements and expectations in order to perform to a standard of excellence in service
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, talk, or hear, and operate a computer and other technology devices. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, such as notebooks, reports, etc. Specific vision duties of this job include close vision.
The noise level in office work environments is relatively quiet, but may escalate in group settings. The noise level in classroom positions is often elevated.
This position requires meeting deadlines with severe time constraints. This position involves stress as a result of those time sensitive obligations, the responsibility to ensure that laws and regulations are followed, and the demands of maintaining communications with large and diverse publics.