Position Title: Custodian
Reports To: Head Custodian, Building Principal
Position Goal: To provide students with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean, and efficient place in which to learn, play, and develop.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Other duties may be assigned.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to the following fundamental duties:
- Keeps building and premises, including sidewalks, driveways, and play areas neat and clean at all times.
- Regulates heat, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to provide temperatures appropriate to the season and to ensure economical usage of fuel, water, and electricity.
- Shovels, plows, and sands walks, driveways, parking areas, and steps, as appropriate.
- Checks daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during the hours of building occupancy.
- Raises the United States flag at or before 8:00 AM on each school day, and lowers it at or after 3:30 PM.
- Sweeps classrooms daily and dusts furniture.
- Cleans corridors after school each day, and during the day when their condition requires it.
- Strips wax from floors, waxes and buffs as required.
- Scrubs, hoses down, and disinfects toilet floors daily, and cleans all sanitary fixtures and drinking fountains daily.
- Washes all windows on both the inside and outside.
- Keeps the grounds free from rubbish.
- Maintains grounds by mowing grass, trimming shrubbery, sweeping sidewalks, raking leaves, as necessary to maintain the school grounds in a safe and attractive condition.
- Keeps all floors in a clean and attractive condition and in a good state of preservation.
- Makes minor building repairs.
- Conducts major repairs needed promptly to the person assigned.
- Conducts an ongoing program of general maintenance, upkeep, and repair.
- Reports immediately to the principal any damage to school property.
- Assumes responsibility for the opening and closing of the building each school day and for determining, before leaving, that all doors and windows are secured, and all lights, except those left on for safety reasons, are turned off.
- Keeps an inventory of supplies, equipment, and fuel on hand, and requisitions such needed replacements from the principal far enough in advance so that they may be delivered in such time as will not hinder the custodian in his duties.
- Moves furniture or equipment within buildings as required for various activities and as directed by the head custodian or principal.
- Complies with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash and waste.
- Assists truck drivers to unload supplies and deliver to storage areas.
- Interprets and carries out written and oral instructions.
- Prepares written incident reports and communicates orally with other staff members, students, and supervisors.
- Demonstrates ability to move, transport, lift and carry manually, books, supplies, equipment, and trash receptacles up to 50 pounds.
- Demonstrates strength and manual dexterity to operate snow removal or lawn mowing equipment or to shovel snow manually or mow on an incline with a manual mower.
- Possesses ability to climb ladders and work at various heights
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Superintendent or his/her designee. This job description does not constitute an exhaustive list of responsibilities and management may revise it at any time.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Drivers License preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manual
- Ability to speak effectively to other employees and/or students
- Must be courteous and able to deal effectively with people.
- Ability to add and subtract two-digit numbers and to multiply and divide by 10’s and 100’s
- Ability to apply simple understanding to carry out detailed but basic written and/or oral instructions
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates aptitude or competence for performing routine work
- Has knowledge of and abides by facility and departmental rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Demonstrates understanding, awareness and skill in working in a manner that minimizes potential of accident/incidents and physical hazards
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Must be cooperative, congenial and service-oriented.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and performs repetitive motions. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is required to be able to hear conversations and audible signals in quiet and noisy environments.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in varying temperatures and occasionally will walk on slippery surfaces. The employee occasionally has direct responsibility for the safety and well being of others.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
As per terms and conditions set forth in the contract between the School District of Reading and the Teamsters Local Union No. 429.
The position holder must be able to perform the essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. It is the responsibility of the employee to inform the school district administrator designated as immediate supervisor of the position, of any and all reasonable accommodations that will be required. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
The Reading School District is an equal opportunity employment, educational and service organization.