Support Your Schools by becoming a Substitute Teacher
Westonka Schools is anticipating that the district will need a larger pool of substitute teachers in order to operate school this fall. Therefore, Westonka is asking all community members to consider supporting their local schools by becoming a short call sub for the district.
If you or someone you know is interested in being a short call substitute teacher, the time to start the application process is now!
Short Call Substitute Teacher Rate of Pay: $175.00/day during the COVID-19 pandemic
In addition, Westonka will reimburse the PELSB licensure fee ($91.95) once you have subbed for five full days in a Westonka assignment.
What is a short call substitute teacher?
- A short call sub may only teach for 15 consecutive days in one classroom assignment, in any subject or grade level
- Education Requirements: You must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university. Official transcripts must be provided.
- Experience: No experience is required to receive a three-year, short call substitute teacher license.
- Complete Westonka Schools’ online job application Short Call Substitute Teachers for 2020-21 available at https://www.westonka.k12.mn.us/jobs (ASAP). You can also access this page by clicking Job Openings on the district website home page.
- Complete Westonka's employment forms, which will be provided after the online application has been submitted.
- Create an online account with Minnesota's Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) and complete the Short Call Substitute Teacher / Tier 1 License Application: https://mn.gov/pelsb/aspiring-educators/apply/.
- PELSB will ask you to consent to a criminal history background check, submit a fingerprint card, submit official transcripts (in the sealed envelope) and pay an initial licensing fee of $91.95.
- Note: It would be beneficial to order official transcripts (mailed to you; do NOT break seal), order the fingerprint card from PELSB and get fingerprints recorded at a police station ASAP. These can be done prior to submitting the license application.
- If you have questions about the licensure process, please contact PELSB at email@example.com.
- If you already hold a current Minnesota Teaching License or Short Call Substitute Teaching License, then you can skip to the next step.
- Attend Westonka's Substitute Teacher Workshop on Monday, August 24, at 1 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. A Google invite will be sent in July (if you've already completed Westonka's online application), and more detailed information will be provided.
Experience the Westonka Edge - Small School Experiences, Big School Opportunities, Real-Life Success Stories.
Westonka schools are just the right size. Small school advantages mean we know every child by name and we make it our goal to help every child to succeed. Big school opportunities mean our award-winning arts, academics and athletics programs are right up there with the big guys. Real-life success stories mean our students leave prepared for college and for success in the 21st Century.