JobID 214 : Special Education Teacher (#341371)
Maine Virtual Academy is a virtual public charter school located in Augusta, Maine, serving students in grades 7-12. Our school is open, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. -4:00 p.m. Maine Virtual Academy provides a family friendly work environment. Our teachers work from our school office but because we are a virtual school there is some flexibility available. We currently have an immediate need for a resource special education teacher for grades 7-12. The resource special education teacher at MEVA works with students through the virtual classroom to provide instruction based on each students individual IEP goals. They are also requiref to attend IEP meetings and write IEP's. Please email your resume for immediate consideration today.
- Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
- Participates in student IEP team and assists in developing Individual Educational Plans ("IEP") for students.
- Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students' IEP's .
- Coordinates with outside agencies, organizations and institutions, including state and federal authorities as needed.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs,
- Serves as ready resource to students and parents to provide consultation to families that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and behavioral management; serves as liaison between home and school.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings as assigned by head of school.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Knowledge of Special Education principles, theories, testing, methods, etc. as well as proven methods of maximizing the educational experience of students with special needs.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- State Certification as a Special Education Teacher or ability to get a provisional or conditional special education certification.
- Current State CRHC certification.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university.
- Successful prior special education teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred but not required.