TITLE: SCHOOL BUS MONITOR
Under the general supervision of the Transportation Director, the School Bus Monitor's main priority is to assist in providing safe transportation so that students may enjoy the fullest possible advantage from the district's curriculum and extracurricular program.
This position reports to the Transportation Director.
Depending upon the individual assignment, the Bus Monitor may perform all or a combination of the following:
- Assists the bus driver in maintaining safety and good student conduct on the bus.
- Assist young or disabled children boarding the school bus, leaving the bus or being transported.
- Seats self in an area on the bus to ensure observation of all passengers at all times and make sure they are following school bus safety rules.
- Is aware of problems between students and keeping those students separated by assigning seats.
- Is responsible for securing students who ride in child restraint seats, etc.
- Inspects transportation passes to prevent unauthorized travel.
- Assures that students get on and off the bus in an orderly fashion.
- Maintains current knowledge of Emergency Evacuation procedures.
- Attend in-service meetings and training courses as assigned.
- Assists the school bus driver in reporting infractions of school bus safety to the transportation director.
- Collects and turns over to the school secretary those personal items left on the bus by students.
Assists other transportation personnel for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Works well with children.
- Experienced in first aid and CPR.
- Excellent health, literate, U.S. citizen, 21 years of age, non-criminal background.
- Ability to follow verbal or written instructions.
- Ability to maintain safe student transportation conditions.
- Knowledge of safety procedures.
- Skill in identifying and de-escalating a multitude of behavioral and emotional problems with children.
- Ability to physically move through the bus, center and classrooms.
- Ability to maintain composure and perform responsibilities under pressure and in cases of accidents or other emergencies.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Performs other related tasks as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Works in standard school bus environment.
- Work will be performed while kneeling, bending at the waist, reaching and walking.
- Required to stand, stoop or crouch for prolonged periods.
- Occasionally may be required to lift, drag, or move heavy objects weighing more than eighty (80) pounds.
- Required to operate power equipment such as wheelchair lifts.
- Required to take precautions when assisting students in wheelchairs and other assistive devices.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision, and hearing.
- This job is performed under some temperature extremes and under conditions with some exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.??
Valid Driver's License
CONTINUING EDUC. / TRAINING:
Annual refresher course; restraint training; first aid.
Up to 30 hours per week during the school year.
High School Diploma or GED.
Successful prior experience working as a bus monitor is preferable.
FLSA Status: Nonexempt