Lead School Safety Officer
REPORTS TO: Director of Security, Security Coordinator or designee
Conduct the duties of a School Safety Officer and in addition, coordinate, supervise, and evaluate all security issues pertaining to the assigned qualifying Hartford Public School site. Work in conjunction with Central Office Supervisory personnel, the Hartford Police Department and any other appropriate security/safety agencies.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Investigative public safety work involving the control, maintenance, and enforcement of laws and regulations governing the order and security of the City’s Public Schools.
- Supervise Hartford Public Schools Safety Officers assigned to the qualifying Hartford Public School site by the Security Coordinator and Director of Security. Complete and submit time sheets of School Safety officers assigned to the qualifying school.
- Conduct uniform and assignment inspections. Inspect and insure the operation of access control and camera systems for the assigned school. Assist in repair or training in these areas as needed. Work with the Principal in developing and inspecting patrol assignments. Review and inspect reports for accuracy. Work closely with the assigned school principals and administrators to help assess and determine individual school security needs. Monitor monthly schools fire and crisis drill compliance.
- Provide supervision and support to the assigned school to improve security related performance and climate. Meet with the Principals and administrators to discuss security related needs and take steps to implement improvements at the school. Work with Principals and School Staff to assign and coordinate security needs for all after school activities/programs.
- Complete weekly, monthly and yearly reports regarding security related needs/findings at the assigned school. Complete School Safety surveys for assigned school. Meet with the Security Team Leader, Security Coordinator, and the Director of Security to provide information, updates, and suggestions for the improvement of safety and security at the assigned school as needed.
- Assist Central Office Supervisory Security Staff in the evaluation process of School Safety Officers assigned to the qualified School. Meet with Principals and Administrators for input into the process. Conduct personal observations and inspections related to all aspects of the School Safety Officers performance and duties.
- Respond to school emergencies and direct the response until relieved by the Security Team Leader, Coordinator, or the Director of Security.
- Develop effective communication channels in order to ensure that Central Office Security Supervisory Personnel are informed of all emergencies.
- Assist Central Office Supervisory Security Personnel in scheduling, planning and conducting orientation and professional development/training sessions and opportunities for personnel assigned to the qualifying school.
- Assist in the ordering and maintaining of uniforms, radios, and all security equipment for the assigned qualifying school. Maintain an inventory of issued radios for the assigned school.
- Performs other security related functions and activities as requested by the Security Team Leader, Security Coordinator, Director of Security, Chief Operating Officer, Assistant Superintendent, and Superintendent.
- High School Diploma or GED, Associates degree in criminal justice or other related field preferred, which may be substituted by 5 or more years’ experience in the field of Safety and /or Security required.
- Documented experience working with culturally diverse populations.
- Must have excellent written, verbal and report-writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and act positively with students, parents, administration, and outside officials.
- Documented training experience in Emergency Response, and Basic Security Operations
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
Must possess State Security Certification
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten month (193 days) work year. Six days prior to school start and five days beyond school end. Eight hours per day. Salary range: $40,900 - $45,000
EVALUATION: evaluated annually
Hartford Federation of School Special Police Officers, Local 1018D, AFT, AFL-CIO
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: All internal and external applicants must submit an online application.
Or go to www.hartfordschools.org and follow the appropriate link.
Subject to Available Funding
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D