JobID 182 : Assistant Elementary School Principal (#333347)
Assistant Elementary School Principal
To assist the Principal in providing leadership and supervision in administering the educational program of an Elementary School in order to promote the educational development and achievement of students in accordance with Board of Education policies, administrative procedures, rules and regulations, and applicable law.
To provide leadership in program development and improvement, as well as in professional staff development.
To serve as Principal in the absence of the Principal.
- Assists in the development and administration of school programs consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff with regard to the ongoing evaluation and improvement of educational programs, including curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Promotes a school environment that is safe and conducive to individualized instruction, cooperative curriculum development, and student learning.
- Assists in ensuring that Board policies and procedures are implemented and followed at the school.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Encourages staff to continue to grow professionally and to experiment with new approaches or strategies to teaching.
- Assists in coordinating the work of school staff and school district program leaders to develop and implement instructional programs and teaching practices.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and works with teaching staff to modify instructional methods to fit students' needs, including students with special needs.
- Assists in the recruitment and selection of employees, the proper maintenance of employee personnel files, the administration of collective bargaining agreements, corrective action, and other human resource issues.
- Involves staff in the evaluation of programs and the planning of new programs.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct and attendance conforms with the school's standards and school district policies.
- Supervises and evaluates teaching staff and other building employees in accordance with the school district's evaluation plan, and makes recommendations regarding goals, areas needing improvement and continued employment.
- Assists in the budgetary and financial affairs of the school consistent with school district policies.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal, Superintendent and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Use standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copier and fax machines, and telephone.
Travel to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of Elementary school curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of best practices in administration, program evaluation and staff supervision.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop and implement projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks and conflicting time constraints.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to leadership, performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Work in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
- [State] State Certification as required for position.
- Teaching Certification in related area (i.e., Elementary School or subject area and grade level).
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelor's and Masters Degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in School Administration.
- Sixth year, doctorate, or other planned program in related field preferred.
- Extensive successful teaching experience, preferably at the Elementary School level, and preferably in more than one grade level.
- Successful experience as a n administrator preferred.