Under the direct supervision of a certified staff member, to assist certified professional staff with students in the classroom to meet instructional goals and objectives.
Essential Job Functions
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials under the direction of the classroom teacher for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives.
- Communicates with teachers and other district personnel for the purpose of assisting in evaluating progress and/or implementing IEP objectives.
- Implements under the supervision of assigned teacher, instructional programs and lesson plans (e.g. reading, math, language comprehension, writing, computer, etc.) for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts.
- Maintains classroom equipment and work area for the purpose of ensuring availability of a safe learning environment and/or meeting mandated requirements.
- Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. rest rooms, playgrounds, hallways, bus loading zones, cafeteria, assemblies, field trips, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment.
- Promotes good study habits and student independence for the purpose of improving the quality of student outcomes.
- Provides, under the supervision of assigned teacher, instruction to students in a variety of individual and group activities (e.g. self esteem, behavioral skills, daily living skills, etc.) for the purpose of implementing goals for remediation of student deficiencies and ensuring student’s success.
- Documents student’s daily activities (e.g. behavior, completed assignments, on/off task times, etc.) for the purpose of completing daily logs and student’s hourly activities.
- Implements under the supervision of assigned teacher, behavioral plans designed by IEP team for students with behavior disorders or other special conditions for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts.
- Models conversation, manners, clean up activities, listening, and everyday interactions for the purpose of demonstrating appropriate social behavior in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Monitors student’s daily schedule and behavior plan (e.g. class schedule, toileting, medication, appetite, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment.
- Responds to emergency situations (e.g. injured students, arguments, etc.) for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Supervise students in and out of classroom activities during the assigned workday
- Participates in team planning as requested
- Maintains substitute folder with information essential for successful substitute assignment
- Performs other tasks and projects as assigned by the Building Administrator/supervising teacher
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Ability to work directly with students in-person
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
- State of Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) with Paraprofessional endorsement
- Knowledge and experience with Google suite
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent communication skills