Paraprofessional - Edison Music Department
Paraprofessional/Classroom Assistant -- Music Department
Lake Station Community Schools
Thomas A. Edison Junior Senior High School | 3304 Parkside Avenue, Lake Station IN 46405-1143
Lake Station Community Schools is seeking a Music Department Paraprofessional/Classroom Assistant to provide instructional and classroom support for its music educational and academic program at Edison Junior Senior High School for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Provides instructional support to music/band/choir teacher and the following is preferred:
- Choral background;
- General music background; and,
- Accompanist skills.
- Provide reinforcement of skills as prescribed by music teacher;
- Help students as they complete lessons delivered by music teacher;
- Collaborates with music teacher for the purpose of communicating information, resolving issues, and providing services;
- Reports to music/choral/band director/teacher;
- Attends meetings and in-service presentations for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions;
- Assists in monitoring supplementary work, providing small group instruction for students;
- Ability to learn new programs and applications;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Skills in Microsoft Word, Excel; and Google,
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Completed at least 2 years (48 credit hours or more) of study in higher education.
- Obtained an associate’s degree (or higher).
- Meet a rigorous standard of quality by passing the ETS – Praxis ParaPro Assessment exam demonstrating knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading, reading readiness, writing and mathematics. ETS-Praxis ParaPro Assessment exam may be taken at the Northwest Indiana Special Education Cooperative (NISEC) Eagle Park School in Crown Point with an appointment on Thursdays and Fridays at either 8:00 am or 1:00 pm contact Ms. Kirsten Gilmore at 219-769-4000 x227. The cost for the test is $55, payable by the applicant. A Study Guide can be checked-out from the Lake Station Community Schools Administration Center with a $25.00 refundable cash deposit. Paraprofessionals must also possess a valid Indiana substitute teacher permit.
- Work days – school days as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in a fast paced environment requiring focus, attention and decision making. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the school corporation. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. The individuals currently holding this position perform additional duties and additional duties may be assigned.