South Holland School District 150
The job of Maintenance Worker I was established for the purpose/s of performing under general supervision, a variety of semiskilled work in the maintenance, construction, repair of buildings and equipment; and assisting skilled maintenance workers in the
performance of their job functions.
This job is distinguished from similar jobs by the following characteristics: This is a semiskilled to skilled Maintenance Classification. This job reports to Supervisors of Buildings and Grounds
- Arranges furnishings and equipment (including playground and lunchroom equipment) for the purpose of providing adequate preparations for meetings, classroom/playground activities, meals, and events.
• Inspects facilities, systems and their components for the purpose of identifying necessary repairs.
- Installs various items (e.g. gas and water pipes, sewer mains and laterals, faucets, cabinets, window glass, fixtures, etc.) for the
- Maintains tools and/or equipment (e.g. hand and power tools, cafeteria and athletic equipment, heating and ventilation equipment, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of equipment in safe operating condition.
- Prepares and paints various surfaces for the purpose of protecting District property and/or maintaining attractive facilities.
- Repairs various items, systems and/or components (e.g. roofs, furniture, bleachers, fences, playground equipment, concrete walkways, air conditioning equipment, door locks, lockers, pipes, valves, fittings, clogged drains, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that items are available and in safe working condition.
- Responds to emergency situations (e.g. broken/clogged pipes/drains, faucets, gutters, sprinkler heads, grease traps, fixtures, etc.) for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
- Transports various items (e.g. tools, equipment, supplies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Attends in-service training for the purpose of receiving information on new and/or improved procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
- Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions.
- Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to safety practices; and operating equipment used in building maintenance trades.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percent, and/or ratios.
- Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized routines; providing information and/or advising others. Utilization of resources from other work units may be required to perform the job's functions.
- The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; frequent climbing and balancing; significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 5% sitting, 50% walking, and 45% standing.
Experience Job related experience is required
Equivalency None Specified
Valid Driver’s License
Required Testing Certificates & Licenses
Approval Date: June 26, 2019