Part-time Education Safety Monitor
LEAP Academy University Charter School is seeking highly qualified Education Safety Monitor - Part-time to monitor and protect the property against criminal activity and damage. They monitor the flow of students, employees and visitors and respond in emergency situations. In order to adequately protect people and property, safety monitor must know and enforce rules and regulations to prevent criminal activity before it happens. They may monitor points of access in a building or property to allow entry only to individuals with the correct identification or authorization. In some situations, such as public events or crowded areas, walk amongst visitors to promote order and provide a visible presence that deters safety issues.
After hours, maintain surveillance of a property by patrolling the grounds or using closed-circuit monitoring or alarm systems. Investigate and report signs of damage or unlawful entry as it occurs. Such issues require that they contact authorities and make written or verbal reports to law enforcement. In emergency situations, they may provide first aid or assistance and alert first responders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as hallway monitor between classes to keep hallways clear.
- Assists with monitoring student lunch periods.
- Ensures uniform compliance by all students.
- Provides assistance to administrators, teachers and staff to ensure students go to and from classes per school policy.
- Reports any incidents involving students to Building Administrator.
- Observant, Detailed–Oriented and Willing to engage and/or direct the students
- Must be fully alert and aware of surroundings
- Must be an Active Listener
- Must respond quickly to all situations
- Secure buildings for opening & closing
- Review/report video monitoring
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Lead Person and/or Designee.
- Ability to meet and maintain the New Jersey Criminal History Review
- High School Diploma
- Security experience with SORA Certificate or CUSPA training (preferred)
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work positively and professionally with a variety of people.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, climb stairs
- Ability to use standard office equipment
- Must wear uniform
- Ability to work flexible schedule to include nights, assigned holidays and weekends-special assignments as needed
Some security experience preferred. Must possess some knowledge
of the rules, regulations, strategies, and techniques for safety/security role. Must possess the ability to
establish and maintain effective working relationships with school administrators, staff, and
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to
dial a telephone, see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids;
hear and understand speech at normal levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible
tones so that others may understand clearly; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds to shoulder
height and 50 pounds to waist height; and to bend, to stoop, to sit on the floor, to climb stairs, to
walk and to reach overhead.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are
normally performed in a school environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Part-time position. Salary, hours and work year to be determined by the Board in consultation with the Lead Person.
SHIFT HOURS: 7:00 am – 9:00 am and 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
EVALUATION: Twice per year according to state statue and Board policy.