Instructional Assistant-Special Education - FAP ll
Instructional Assistant-Special Education ll FAP, 29 hours per week, position is available at Westfield High School effective August 6, 2018.
Strong interpersonal skills, and computer knowledge is helpful along with the ability to work with a diverse student population.
Please apply at district's website at www.wws.k12.in.us.
Reports to: Teacher or immediate supervisor and Principal
Terms: Full-time 181 days, 35 hours/week
181 days, 37.5 hours/week
184 days, 37.5 hours/week
181 days, 40 hours/week
Part-time 181 days, 13-29 hours/week
Position Summary: To assist the teacher in achieving teaching objectives by working with individual students or small groups, as assigned by teacher, to help them achieve the skill levels of the class as a whole.
1. Assist as needed for district and state-wide testing per student accommodations.
2. Assist the teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
3. Guide independent study, enrichment work, and remedial work set up and assigned by the teacher.
4. Check notebooks, correct papers, and supervise testing and makeup work as assigned by the teacher.
5. Assist with such group activities as drill work, reading aloud, and story telling.
6. Serve as chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the teacher(s).
7. Alert the teacher to any special problems about an individual student.
8. Maintain the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected of fully licensed teachers.
9. Record keeping as assigned by teacher.
10.Under the supervision of certified teachers, assist in the areas related to personal, social, and instructional needs of students.
11.Be proactive and do what is necessary to maintain a relationship of trust with teacher(s) and student(s) you serve.
12.Assist students with assistive technology needs as required for academic success.
13.Under teacher direction, gather data on goal progress and behaviors
14.Other duties as assigned by Principal or Immediate Supervisor.
15.Assist with students basic needs like feeding and toileting, along with assisting students with community based outings and work experience. (Life Skills and 1 on 1 IA only.)
16.Assist students with their in school job placements around the building; watches classes with sub support when needed during case conferences; and sometimes eat and supervises lunch with students. (Life Skills and 1 on 1 IA only.)
17.Implement behavior plans for students with aggressive behaviors to ensure the safety of the student and those around him/her. (Life Skills and 1 on 1 IA only.)
Qualifications Skills and Abilities:
1. High School Diploma or equivalent required; some College preferred.
2. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
3. Perform a variety of work involving use of independent judgment, accuracy, speed, and confidentiality.
4. Relate well to a variety of individuals, including students, parents, staff, and the community.
5. Perform work without continuous supervision.
6. Maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
7. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
8. Maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, maintaining confidentiality of specified information.