Elementary Special Education Classroom Teacher-Moderate
Special Education Classroom Teacher
Job Title: Special Education Classroom Teacher
Credentials: Current Oklahoma Certificate as a Special Education Teacher in specific disability
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Special Education
Training or experience required: None required for this position.
Reports to: Building Administrator.
Contract: 182 days
Salary Schedule: Certified Salary Schedule.
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform applicable job functions of Classroom Teacher.
- Initiate/participate in categorical eligibility meetings as an expert in a category of IDEA-BPL 101-476.
- Ensure that each child has a current IEP (Individual Education Plan) with required signatures.
- Monitor implementation of IEPs.
- Review and write IEPs on an annual basis.
- Create and maintain a working special education file in a locked cabinet at the site that contains: Teacher assessments that cover pre (beginning year) and post (ending year) evaluation of progress. The current IEP with required signatures. The most recent psychological evaluation; and Pertinent medical information
- Provide the building principal advice on special education issues.
- Provide staff in-service sessions each year as required by district policies and state/federal regulations.
- Collaborate, consult, schedule, and instruct regular education staff regarding inclusion, intervention, and/or modification techniques.
- Provide for the physical, social and educational needs of students.
- Inform appropriate staff of necessary medical and other information.
- Collaborate, consult and receive instruction from regular education staff regarding regular classroom expectations and dynamics.
- Assist the student in taking prescribed medication.
- Lift and/or move non-ambulatory students.
- Diaper and toilet students ages three to adult.
- Adapt foods and feeds students.
- Present a professional appearance appropriate to the teaching assignment.
- Display knowledge and understanding of multicultural issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
Successful performance of the job requires good customer service/people skills and to handle problems and provide information and technical assistance as requested. It requires complying with safety guidelines and policies to reduce accident or injury to staff or to students. It requires following school dress standards, proper attendance or leave policies, and other work-habits concerns for staff. Creativity, initiative and effective problem solving are critical to the success of the position.Help manage the computerization of school district operations. Provide training and support to district staff in the use of administrative computer systems. Perform such tasks to the ultimate benefit of the educational program. An incumbent in this position will utilize discretion, ingenuity and independent judgment due to the complexity of the job. Since there may be several ways to solve a problem, an incumbent is free to choose the solution.