Special Education: General Curriculum (SY 24/25)
Job | Posted 20 days ago
|Locations:||Elementary / Middle / High Schools|
|Employment Period:||10 months|
|Salary:||Teacher scale -- commensurate with experience|
|Start date:||August 2024|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct instructional services in a variety of settings to students with disabilities based on their Individual Education Programs (IEPs).
- Assesses student abilities as related to desired educational goals, objectives, outcomes, and disability or impairment.
- Collaborates with other staff and parents to develop individual educational programs (IEP) for each student assigned.
- Collaborates within a professional learning community in order to nurture and sustain a school culture and instructional program conducive to accelerated student achievement.
- Plans appropriate instructional/learning strategies and activities, including determination of appropriate type and level of materials and equipment.
- Participates in and/or chairs eligibility, IEP, and triennial meetings.
- Develops, adapts, and modifies educational materials, resources, and strategies to meet the needs of students with disabilities.
- Manages the behavior of learners in instructional setting to ensure environment is conducive to the learning process, and assists and participates in management of student behavior in other parts of the school, center, school grounds, or work site.
- Coordinates educational activities, as required, with other professional staff, both school and non-school based, to maximize learning opportunities.
- Assesses on a continuous basis student achievement through use of formal and informal testing, and maintains appropriate assessment and evaluation documentation for division and individual reporting purposes.
- Utilizes a variety of instructional materials and available multimedia and technology to enhance learning.
- Coordinates instructional activities and collaborates with other professional staff.
- Participates in staff development activities and staff meetings as required, or assigned.
- Ensures continuous communication with parents, both written and oral, to keep them informed of their children's progress.
- Communicates with students on expectations and keeps them informed of their progress in meeting those expectations.
- Manages allotted learning time to maximize student achievement.
- Ensures classroom and/or instructional environment is attractive, healthful, safe, and conducive to learning, and that materials are accessible to students.
- Makes off-school site visits as required to monitor students, confer with employers, or site instructors.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
- Must possess or be eligible for a teaching license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia with an endorsement in Special Education General Curriculum or completion of a bachelor's degree and additional coursework necessary to obtain a teaching license. Preference given to those who have completed an approved teacher prep program.
- Must maintain license with appropriate endorsement.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent organizational, planning and human relations skills.
- Good knowledge of the nature and effects of the impairments and disabilities of the assigned students.
- Good knowledge of procedures, practices, materials, and equipment required to provide appropriate learning experiences for assigned students.
- Ability to assess needs, to develop and implement an IEP, and evaluate outcomes in area of assignment.
- Ability to coordinate activities with other appropriate staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain required records and reports.
You may apply anytime before midnight on the closing date. Please provide the following information:
- Teaching License. If no teaching license, please upload unofficial transcripts and test scores (Praxis II, VCLA, RVE).
- Most recent performance evaluation. Please upload student teaching evaluation if new to the profession.
Hampton City Schools does not discriminate in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability or other protected class. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Executive Director of Human Resources, One Franklin Street, Hampton, VA 23669; (757) 727-2300Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.