Personal Care Assistant
Job | Posted 9 days ago
|Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
- Salary: Classified Scale, Grade 5 https://www.mpark.net/departments/human_resources
- Position Length: 186 days
- Hours: 7.5 hours per day
The Personal Care Assistant provides one-to-one support and assistance to a student with special education needs. This position includes but is not limited to, supporting daily living skills and monitoring and supporting health and behavior. A personal care assistant may provide support to more than one student, but not at the same time. When the personal care assistant is not working with an individual student in meeting personal care needs, the personal care assistant may be reassigned.
A personal care assistant is a paraprofessional who works under the direction of a certified staff member to support and assist in providing instructional, behavioral, functional, and personal care services to a child with disabilities. This person reports to the school principal.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
- High school diploma or equivalency required
- Experience in supporting people with disabilities or medical needs preferred
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Displays a positive role model for students at all times
- Maintains confidentiality
- Ability to speak clearly and write effectively
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment
- Ability to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups, including teachers and administrators, parents, agency representatives, other school districts, and community groups
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and flexibility to function as a positive, contributing member of an education team
- Strictly follows standing orders, policies and procedures
- Reports on time for all assignments
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: (including but not limited to the following)
- Delivers educational interventions designed by Special Education teachers to help students meet educational, academic, life skill, behavioral, physical, social, and emotional goals.
- Assists teachers with Special Education students to enable learning with minimal disruptions to other students.
- Assists students with basic dress and grooming self-care.
- Administers medications as trained, assigned, and directed.
- Attends to the physical needs of students. This may include handling equipment such as prone standards (muscle inactivity so student is changed manually), wheelchairs and braces, (how to refit once removed, now to use properly, and physical lifting).
- Attends to health care physical needs of students, which may include feeding, toileting, diapering, responding to medical emergencies, and handling equipment.
- Assist the special education and regular education teachers in the delivery of appropriate instructional and tutorial strategies as per the individualized educational plan (IEP).
- Under the direction of the teacher, collect observational and academic data for the purpose of progress monitoring.
- Communicates effectively with staff, students, and/or parents regarding needs and concerns.
- Assist student's safe transitions from/to locations and environments within and around the school (e.g., bus, cafeteria, community-based instruction, etc.).
- Participate in specialized training related to specific individualized needs of the eligible student with an IEP.
- Respond appropriately to emergency situations as per standing orders and other policies and procedures.
- Perform such other tasks within the expectation of this job category and/or assume such other responsibilities as may be assigned or delegated by the Principal, or Director of Special Education
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public using the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Frequent walking, standing, light lifting, up to 40 pounds, and other physical activities are required. Occasional travel with students on field trips may be necessary. Occasional movement of students by wheelchairs and other mechanical devices is required. Occasional lifting of equipment weighing up to 50 pounds is required. Occasional attendance to parent conferences, building-level meetings and division wide meetings and training activities beyond normal assigned hours is necessary. Daily personal close contact with children to provide classroom management and learning environment support is required. Regular contact with other staff members, parents and medical professional may be required. Must be able to work within various degrees of noise, temperature, and air quality. Dexterity of hands and fingers assist students and to operate specialized equipment or office equipment. Sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to assist students. Seeing to read a variety of materials and monitor student activities. Hearing and speaking to exchange information. Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally. Lifting or moving children from wheelchair to tables or desks. Must possess the physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Screening
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.