CFA Clinical Faculty Associate - Secondary (History/Social Studies)
Job | Posted a month ago
Clinical Faculty Associate (CFA)
BYU/Public School Partnership
History/Social Studies Department
Beginning Date: Fall Semester 2024.
Application is due by Dec 1, 2023 @ midnight
- A minimum of five years of successful teaching experience with secondary students.? Capacity for teaching and mentoring preservice teachers.
- Currently employed within Alpine, Jordan, Nebo, Provo, or Wasatch Districts.
- An excellent history of positive collaboration with community, school, and university personnel.
- Evidence of exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- An understanding of current literature, trends, and issues in teacher education.
- An understanding of and commitment to the BYU/Public School Partnership (see “The Vision of the BYUPSP” document attached).
- A commitment to the simultaneous renewal of public schools and teacher education.
- Capacity for managing practicum programs.
- A pattern of effective mentoring of BYU students in field settings.
- Assist in the teaching of seminar courses identified by History Department.
- Assist content method professors in coordinating and supervising related clinical experiences.
- Assist in the teaching of History 276, Explorations of Teaching, and History 477, Methods of Teaching History and Social Studies, potentially as instructor of record.
- Assist in providing appropriate professional development for affiliated school personnel, such as mentor teachers.
- Develop a program of personal professional development.
- Participate in all university, department and any school partnership meetings as invited, including the University Conference Week held the week before the fall semester begins, as well as April graduation.
- Communicate program components and university expectations to university faculty members, school personnel and administrators, and practicum students.
- Assist with the selection of Professional Development Teachers (mentors, intern facilitators, etc.) at related sites.
- Build positive relationships with school personnel, university faculty members, and students.
- Mentor practicum students, student teachers, and interns.
- Prepare and submit summative reports for preservice teachers.
- Conduct ongoing reviews of preservice teacher performance and maintain progress records of practicum students, student teachers, and interns.
- Participate in student teaching orientation meetings.
- Participate in mentor teacher training meetings.
- Plan and conduct student teaching seminars.
- Support student teachers and interns in their completion of the PPAT assessment Action Research
- Conduct inquiry and research projects.
Term of Service
- The appointment as a CFA is limited to two consecutive years.
- The CFA completes a standard school district teaching contract (though the start and end dates are slightly adjusted to align with BYU start and end dates; CFAs are expected to work Fall and Winter semesters, as well as Spring term, mid-August through mid-June, though there may be some instances when work extends further into the summer, usually in conjunction with a light spring load)
- A CFA on a standard school district contract is expected to work full-time for the duration of the specified contract period.
- At the conclusion of the two-year term, a CFA is expected to return to a position in the district from which he or she was recruited for a minimum of one year.
- The CFA may apply for a graduate education program or an endorsement offered through the college department.
- Any CFA admitted to a graduate program has limited release time to complete day classes during each semester. Spring and summer terms offer the most flexible day school hours.
- The CFA is not released from responsibilities to complete classes or fieldwork required in other graduate programs.
- Funding for the CFA position is provided jointly by the BYU/Public School Partnership and the school district. CFA checks are issued by the school district on the regular district salary schedule.
- The CFA is employed by the BYU/Public School Partnership under the direction of the Department Chair and campus faculty team.
Application Procedure: Submit the following materials:
? Complete District application
? Three letters of recommendation
? A current resume or vita
? Complete the online application for BYU found at yjobs.byu.edu. Note that the Yjobs application must be completed prior to being considered for this position.
Application, resume, and graduation plan [if appropriate] are due by Friday December 1, 2023.
- Submit the district completed application to your HR Office in your respective district and complete the online application for BYU found at yjobs.byu.edu. Both completed applications are required for consideration of this position.