Job | Posted 8 days ago
|Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
POSITION: Network Engineer
- Pay: Managerial Pay Scale - https://www.mpark.net/departments/human_resources
- Position Length: 12 months, full time
- Hours: Monday–Friday - 6:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. (Occasional night, weekend, holiday or emergency on-call availability required)
The Network Engineer is responsible for performing specialized engineering activities required to analyze, plan, design, implement, inspect, test, troubleshoot, and maintain computer networks and related voice, video, and data electronic systems and applications. This position reports to the Director of Technology.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
- Must have a minimum of five years of progressively responsible network engineering experience, Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field preferred.
- Preferred certifications include CompTIA Network+ Certification, CompTIA Security+ Certification, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) Certification.
- Thorough knowledge of data communications protocol and industry standards such as TCP/IP v4 & v6, iSCSI, and Fiber Channel.
- Thorough knowledge of communications network management and router/switch configuration using a variety of different brands.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with extracting and analyzing system logs.
- Thorough knowledge of the latest versions of Microsoft servers, SQL, and Systems Center.
- Comprehensive knowledge of VMware.
- In-depth knowledge of network storage configuration and operations.
- Extensive knowledge of network backup/restore and disaster recovery planning.
- Thorough knowledge of a variety of hardware and software, cabling, power requirements, ancillary equipment, etc. related to network operations.
- Considerable knowledge of new developments related to network systems.
- Ability to plan, schedule and coordinate special projects and assignments.
- Ability to oversee, monitor and maintain network operations.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and ability to prepare accurate and detailed documentation.
- Ability to use independent judgment, manage and prioritize multiple tasks and assignments, and work independently.
- Ability to translate technical terminology into terms understood by management and employees.
- Responsible for network monitoring logs, troubleshooting, and resolving problems encountered with network communication hardware and software.
- Responsible for planning, implementation, configuration, and administration of network communication hardware such as hubs, switches, wireless infrastructure, routers, and firewalls.
- Responsible for the engineering and implementation of LAN, WAN and Wireless technologies as they relate to the computing environment and must be familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining documentation of network hardware and software initial settings along with various other network and communication specifications.
- Responsible for management of the division’s VPN (Virtual Private Network) operations.
- Responsible for the maintenance and monitoring of the division’s Internet access to ensure adequate bandwidth is available for school operations and division initiatives.
- Responsible for assisting in preparing and recommending short and long-term strategic plans for network communication services; responsible for maintaining and implementing short and long-term strategic plans as directed.
- Responsible for evaluating and implementing new technologies.
- Evaluates existing infrastructure and inventories of services, hardware and software and develops replacement upgrade, and providing recommendations to promote optimum utilization of network system services.
- Direct efforts of technicians who are involved in diagnosing and correcting network failures and performing network management activities; determines logical solutions to complex system administration and application problems.
- Oversees network communication projects related to new construction, agency relocations, and similar actions including coordination of activities with planners, engineers, vendors and agency management.
- Perform level III technical support for elevated support issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public through the
use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions will be required.
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Screening
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.