Special Education CDC Pre-K Assistant - Interim
Special Education CDC Pre-K Assistant - Full-Time - Interim
The Special Education Para Pro will be working in a self-contained room under the direction of the Special Education Teacher. The students’ disabilities range from mild to severe. The Para Pro will implement programming designed by the teacher for children in activities designed to promote social, physical, adaptive, and intellectual growth.
Provide support and paraprofessional work assisting classroom teachers or other professionals to achieve instructional objectives; assist students with disabilities in achieving established goals and with personal care and mobility, as needed.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. Other duties as assigned by the building principal or special education supervisor.)
- Assist classroom teacher in performing specific duties as assigned or undertaking specialized tasks to achieve and enhance instructional and behavioral objectives.
- Work with individuals, small groups, or large groups as assigned teacher.
- Assist with behavior modification as assigned by leader.
- Lift, move, and operate adaptive equipment.
- Assist students with personal care tasks, including but not limited to, lavatory, clothing, hygiene, diapering, toileting, and wash-up routines, as needed.
- Escort students as assigned by teacher or administrator.
- Assist students with mobility needs such as, lifting and positioning students, lifting in and out of wheelchairs; loading and unloading on the bus; transporting students in and around the school and on field trips.
- Monitor students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments for the purpose of maintaining a safe and positive learning environment.
- Provide programmed practice activities and repetitions as developed by teacher, therapist or pathologist.
- Report student concerns directly and expeditiously to teacher and assist with student resolution.
- Assist with breakfast, lunch, snack, including clean-up, as needed.
- Maintain various records and files.
- Perform related work as required.
Significant standing; some walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, pushing, and pulling. Must have the ability to lift 50+ lbs.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks.
- Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
- Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Associates Degree or passing score on Para Professional Praxis.
- Some experience working with students with disabilities, preferred.
Must be Highly Qualified.
In order to be Highly Qualified applicant must have at least one of the following qualifications:
1. Passed the Praxis Test for Para-Professionals or agree to take the test and receive a passing score
2. 48 hours of successful college course work - upload your college transcript to document the hours
3. An Associate's Degree or higher - upload your college transcript to document your degree
FLSA Status: Non-exempt