Speech Language Pathologist
~~Altar Valley School District #51
JOB TITLE: SPEECH PATHOLOGIST
DEPARTMENT: Special Services
REPORTS TO: Special Services Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISORY DUTIES: None
FTE: .5 - 1.0
SUMMARY: Evaluates, diagnoses and treat students with speech or language disorders. Formulates individualized treatment programs, keeps appropriate records, and informs faculty and parents about students' progress.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assesses needs of pupils with speech or language disorders and matches their needs with programs available through the educational system.
• Meets with students regularly according to treatment program schedule, evaluates, and maintains records of students' progress.
• Reports progress to faculty members and meets with them on a regular basis to discuss their evaluations of students' skills as demonstrated in class performance and social interaction with other students.
• Reports progress to parents and meets with them regularly. Suggests activities the parents can do with their child to assist and supplement the student's speech therapy program. Attempts to add to their understanding of the program and answer questions or concerns they may have about it.
• Repeats evaluations on a regular basis to measure progress according to professional guidelines.
• Holds discussions with the students to determine their feelings about the program and their progress or any frustrations they may feel about the therapy.
• Keeps current with professional literature and attends seminars on a regular basis to maintain and update professional skills.
• Participates in all aspects of preschool/Child Find screenings and evaluations.
• Coordinates the delivery of all speech and language services
• Consults with teachers and other staff as needed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Possess exceptional organization skills.
• Skill in communicating, both orally and in writing with students, faculty members, and parents so that all parties understand program and degree of progress being made.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Education & Experience:
• Master's degree in Speech Pathology from an accredited university
• State license as a speech pathologist
• A minimum of two years' experience working in the speech pathology field
Computer Proficiency: Utilizes all appropriate, available and relevant technology to ensure duties are performed effectively.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work involves the performance of duties where physical exertion is not always required to perform all aspects of the job. Work involves sitting for extended periods of time, moving from one location to another, reaching, stooping, climbing, bending and holding and grasping. Visual weakness must not prohibit performance of job duties. Verbal communicative ability may be required of public contact positions. Hearing ability sufficient to evaluate student's speech.
Works indoors, office/school environment, exposure to noise. Extensive contact with employees, students and public
Disclaimer: The duties and responsibilities identified in this position description are illustrative only and are in no way intended to be a complete list of activities that may be required of an incumbent.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.