Parent Liaison - Manassas Park Elementary School
Job | Posted 5 days ago
|Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
POSITION: Parent Liaison
- Pay scale: Classified Scale, Grade 4: https://www.mpark.net/departments/human_resources
- Position Length: Full-time - 220 days
- Hours: Flexible – to be set in conjunction with building administration
The School-based Parent Liaison creates a welcoming school environment for families; conducts outreach through a variety of communications to empower parents/guardians to be actively engaged in their children's education; organizes family involvement events/activities; manages school-based volunteer opportunities; and works with the principal and school administration to address parent/guardian issues and concerns at the school.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
- High school diploma or GED
- Must possess interpersonal communication skills and the professional and personal characteristics necessary for working with parents, students and school personnel.
- Knowledge and credibility of the Spanish speaking population of the school system
- Bilingual capability and proficiency in English and Spanish
- Verbal and written skills with the ability to interpret and translate from one to another
- Exceptional language and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships and delivery of excellent customer service
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and be responsive and sensitive to others in a wide variety of circumstances
- Parent of current MPCS student, preferred
- Knowledge of learning management systems and school communication programs, such as PowerSchool, Canvas, InfoSnap, preferred.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: (including but not limited to the following)
- Complies with all school laws, State Board of Education regulations, and all policies and regulations made by the School Board and Superintendent.
- Establishes trusting relationships and serves as a point of contact for families.
- Assists families in efforts to navigate the school system, connecting them to appropriate staff/resource.
- Works closely with other school staff to coordinate services for students and families to foster academic achievement, including: School Support Team members, English Learner (EL) and specialized instruction staff, teachers and administrators.
- Provides information on services available to eligible students and families and encourages participation, as appropriate.
- Interprets and translates simultaneously or consecutively during various meetings (ex., with parents during special education IEP meetings, parent-teacher conferences) for the purpose of providing translations to participants
- Translates a wide variety of documents, verbatim and idiomatic (slang/native dialect), materials and conversations from the source language to the target language for the purpose of ensuring accuracy of information conveyed in both English and Spanish
- Provides community referrals to families as needed.
- Conducts individual or small group orientations, especially with limited English proficient (LEP) students and parents, along with developing and delivering workshops for families.
- Ensures signs, bulletin boards and other displays are visible at school entrance and/or lobby to welcome families and provide important information in the language’s families speak.
- Attends appropriate trainings and meetings.
- Advocates for families, as appropriate
- Attends parent support meetings and other relevant meetings within the community.
- Assists in the communication of matters concerning the division that impact the school community as appropriate.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions will be required.
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Screening
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.