Curriculum Leader -- Secondary English Language Arts
Review of candidates will begin September 15, 2023.
|Supervisor:||Dr. Kathleen Maxlow, Director of Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment|
|Employment Period:||12 months|
|Salary:||Commensurate with experience|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs administrative and supervisory work involved in designing, developing, implementing, and evaluating the general education curriculum and research-based instructional strategies.
- Articulates curriculum expectations and Virginia Standards of Learning to teachers, administrators, and the community.
- Analyzes a variety of data to identify trends, strengths and achievement gaps.
- Provides resources and training to assist administrators with monitoring fidelity to district-level models and research-based best practices.
- Participates in the planning and delivery of professional development that promotes effective teaching and is supportive of the division's goals.
- Visits schools and conducts walkthroughs on a regular basis to ensure consistency of the instructional program from classroom to classroom and school to school.
- Examines potential resources and assists schools, teachers, and committees in the selection of research-based materials to support instruction and student learning.
- Supports school data teams and collaborates regarding instructional decisions based on the data.
- Provides assistance to building administrators and instructional personnel to meet instructional goals and to improve teaching and learning.
- Leads the development, management, implementation, and dissemination of the English Language Arts curricula, pacing guides, and assessments.
- Develops, manages and monitors the budget for the English Language Arts department.
- Supervises all record-keeping, payroll, and time reports related to the Language Arts department.
- Serves as the central office contact and liaison with families and the community regarding the division’s English Language Arts instructional program.
- Participates on school-level and district-level teams to support continual school improvement.
- Supervises teacher specialists and appropriate departmental personnel.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (updated 4/23/23):
- Must hold Virginia Postgraduate Graduate Professional License with an endorsement in Administration and Supervision K-12, supplemented by considerable course work related to the assignment. Masters degree in Reading and/or English, preferred.
- Minimum five years teaching at the secondary level.
- Must demonstrate the personal characteristics and leadership qualities necessary to work effectively with administrators, teachers, parents and students.
- Strong background in English and Reading preferred.
- Must have knowledge and skills related to scientifically research-based English and Reading instructional strategies.
- Demonstrated success in improving student achievement.
You may apply anytime before midnight on the closing date. The following information is requested to be considered for the position:
- Feedback from references (minimum of two)
Only complete applications will be considered.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a FBI fingerprint check and a Child Protective Services background check.
Hampton City Schools does not discriminate in employment against any person on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability or other protected class. Personnel decisions are based on merit and the ability to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Executive Director of Human Resources, One Franklin Street, Hampton, VA 23669; (757) 727-2000. Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.