Full Time Bus Driver
Title: School Bus Driver
Under the general supervision of the Transportation Manager, to ensure the safe transportation of students, staff, and others to and from school, residential neighborhoods, and field trips.
- Safely drives a school bus on days when school is in session over designated routes in accordance with time schedules, loading and unloading students at designated locations.
- Transports students, teachers and others on school field or activity trips.
- Inspects assigned bus on a daily basis prior to transporting of passengers to ensure that bus is in good, clean and safe working order.
- Cleans and refuels bus as needed.
- Ensures that a communication device is in proper working order before each trip.
- Reports all mechanical deficiencies, traffic violations, or accidents, promptly.
- Arranges for and ensures completion of routine maintenance of bus (e.g., oil change); transporting the bus to and from maintenance and/or repair facilities.
- Maintains order and discipline in an effective and courteous manner among students being transported in accordance with district policies and procedures; reports any incidents involving student discipline.
- Observes and tracks route timing, such as total time en-route, time between stops, loading and unloading times or any other requested information for the purpose of establishing route efficiency, as requested.
- Maintains and submits records and reports as required.
- Follows procedures to ensure that no child is left alone on bus without adult supervision at any time, and that all children have departed bus at the end of all bus routes (morning, evening and during field trips or other special trips).
- Inventories bus emergency and first aid supplies and equipment; reports needs to the Director.
- Prepares aides and children for bus drills and ensures bus evacuation drills are held as required.
- In case of accidents/emergencies, evacuates children according to written and practiced procedures, ensures that medical emergency procedures are followed; completes a written report as required.
- Attends and participates in trainings, and other continuing education, career and professional development opportunities.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.Equipment
- Uses standard automotive and bus equipment, and telephone.
- Travels to and from school district buildings, to vehicle service stations, field trip locations and other destinations are required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of all traffic laws, regulations, road signs and related information.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate the bus, conduct pre-trip inspections, and clean the bus.
- Visual and auditory acuity within professionally determined normal ranges, with correction if needed.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to learn and comprehend information from procedures manuals and other materials. Ability to comprehend and follow traffic signs required.
- Ability to physically move through the bus, center and classrooms.
- Ability to maintain composure and perform responsibilities under pressure and in cases of accidents or other emergencies.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard school bus environment.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Current Commercial Driver's License (CDL), class B with Passenger and School Bus Endorsement
- Training provided to qualified applicants with CDL License without P and S (School Bus Endorsement)
- Must have current bus driver's physical or be willing to get a bus driver's physical
- High School Diploma or GED
- Prefer successful prior experience working as a bus driver, preferably in a school district or transporting children.
FLSA Status: Nonexempt