Maintenance Technician - Locksmith/Key Control - 23/24 SY
DEFINITION: Under general supervision, prepares, installs, repairs, and maintains locking devices, security containers and door closing hardware as assigned. Also maintains a key control accountability system for Sunnyside Unified School District.
(Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledges, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class).
- Installs, repairs, adjusts, and replaces locks and other door closures around various buildings and facilities
- Makes duplicate keys when required
- Establishes and maintains key control accountability system to include key accounts for all sites and departments, District wide.
- Manages the supply of key inventory for all staff, documents when keys are issued and when they are returned.
- Audits keys and key holders regularly.
- Checks in on key holders to ensure that site and department facilities are in compliance and that keys are accounted for
- Determines method of repair and materials needed within established expenditure guidelines.
- Orders hardware supplies and materials needed as approved by the supervisor.
- Repairs, replaces, converts, maintains and installs locking devices for doors, lockers, vehicles and associated hardware.
- Repairs and replaces door closures related door hardware, vaults and safes.
- Changes lock combinations.
- Makes new and duplicate keys and maintains records of cylinder keying and key duplication.
- Fabricates repair parts using a welder and other metal working tools.
- Specifies and installs new hardware on new doors according to specifications.
- Cuts, installs and maintains all key operated elevator switches and components.
- Initiates and finalizes work tickets to include time and materials used for each repair.
- Coordinates with Site Administrators, Teachers, contractors, official agencies and various Facilities
- Coordinate the installing and repairing of Electronic Access Control System components.
- Inspects all facilities to ensure compliance with School Facilities Board (SFB), National Fire Protection Act (NFPA).
- Provides training on the installation, repair and replacement of door closures, panic bars and related door hardware.
- Determines salvageable materials and what may be destroyed, or offers possible solutions to a construction or remodeling problem.
- Maintains door frame listings, inventory records of supplies and materials, keying records, and information related to building access and security.
- Prepares hardware schedule from blueprints for new buildings and alterations.
Assists and performs duties as needed; performs related duties as assigned within the Security Department
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
Knowledge of District policies and procedures.
Knowledge of maintenance manuals, techniques and equipment
Knowledge of locksmith techniques including Electronic Access Control Systems installation and repair.
Knowledge in hardware, locking mechanism and key making techniques.
Skill in the safe operation of power tools, hand tools, saws and other maintenance equipment.
Skill in following oral and written instructions.
Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments. Work requires frequent driving, standing, walking, bending and lifting up to 50 pounds. Climbing, stooping, bending, reaching, walking and sitting for extended periods of time bay be required as a normal part of the job. Employees must not have any limitations of motion and vision. May be exposed to moving equipment and hand tools, extreme weather conditions, toxic fumes and chemicals, harmful dust and air particles and infectious diseases.
High School Diploma or equivalent, and three (3) years trades maintenance experience in the locksmith field.
Experience with a variety of lock picking tools and key-cutting hardware
Strong customer service skills
Must possess a valid Arizona driver license.
Relevant certificate from a vocational school or on-the-job training
Related experience in carpentry, preventative maintenance, or electrical work
Depending on the needs of the District, some incumbents in this class must be able to demonstrate fluency in both Spanish and English as a condition of employment.
Salary Grade: K Hourly Pay: $20.50 Hours per Day: 8 Days in Contract: 260 Start Date: 2023/2024 School Year