Position starting: 08/11/23
1 yr contract
Hiring Manager: Melissa Hartley
- Secondary education
One of these endorsements is required:
- Social Studies
- Social Studies Composite
Social Studies Teacher
- Develops and administers Social Studies curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop unit organization around historical problems, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Teaches knowledge of social studies, incorporating history, geography, economics, political science, systems of government, education, responsible citizenship, and humanities.
- Develops students' understanding of various racial, ethnic, religious and political groups and mores, as well as socio-economic status, and the influence of various factors on human rights and freedom.
- Fosters an understanding of the continuity and patterns of human behavior through the ages, and an awareness of the complexity and interrelationship of local, state, national and world problems and approaches to their solution(s).
- Demonstrates the manner in which the past provides a comparative basis from which to evaluate the nature of current issues and predict courses of action for the future, with continuous cross reference to contemporary matters of importance.
- Develops students' research skills, interpersonal skills, and ability to make critical value judgments and contribute to the thoughtful exchange of ideas, through a variety of reading, writing, group discussion and presentation assignments to stimulate self-reliance in problem-solving and drawing conclusions.
- Promotes students' critical analysis of the effect media has on the flow of information and shaping of public discourse, and encourage students to seek out and compare alternative sources of information concerning the key issues of their world.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of world history in a variety of sub-topic, including history, geography, sociology, economics, political science, systems of government, education, responsible citizenship, anthropology, and humanities.
- Knowledge of humanity's major problems and approaches to their solution(s) in the past.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.