Reading Specialist - Full-Time
Job | Posted a month ago
Position Start Date: 08/01/2023
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
- Develops and administers school elementary curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Plan and teach intensive reading and math interventions
- Demonstrate a knowledge of and ability to use research-based principles of effective instruction
- Schedule and evaluate reading and math interventions
- Directly supervise reading/math intervention assistants
- Participate in and facilitate trainings for intervention programs
- Coordinate the RtI2 program
- Implement a variety of assessments and train others in utilizing data
- Inform stakeholders of student progress
- Plan, coordinate, and facilitate parent involvement and family engagement activities
- Maintain and facilitate communication with families and community members
- Execute financial responsibilities involved in creating, managing, and balancing all federal budget allocations
- Schedule and lead Title I Task Force meetings
- Maintain records for Title I monitoring
- Lead and facilitate the creation of an annual school improvement plan
- Assist the instructional coach, counselor, and school librarian with school-wide initiatives
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by the principal
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Instructs students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters specified in applicable laws, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of the school system.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other elementary professional staff members, especially within grade level, to evaluate and assess curriculum, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Supervises students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day, including activities involving school transportation.
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with District testing programs.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Director of Schools.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of elementary school curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Works in standard office and school building environments.
- [TN] State Certification as an Elementary Teacher
- [TN] Endorsement Code as an Elementary Teacher:
1-8 Middle Gr Spec (406)
Elementary 1-8 (101)
Elementary Grades 1 - 9 (001)
Elementary K-6 (499)
K-8 Early Gr Spec (402)
K-8 Early Grade Specialist (402)
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in Elementary Education or related discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree in related area preferred.
- 5 or more years of prievious elementary teaching experience
- Knowledge of grade level ELA and Math expectations for K-5th grade
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Knowledge and skill to lead and execute effective instructional practices
- Self-initiated organization skills to develop and maintain records
- Strong communication skills which encourage volunteers and foster community and stakeholder relationships
- Technology skills to develop and manage online budgets, create and distribute flyers, create and maintain data reports, and develop and maintain school social media accounts
Bradley County Schools
800 South Lee Highway , Cleveland, TN 37311
At the following locations
Michigan Avenue Elementary
188 Michigan Avenue School Road , Cleveland, TN 37323