BAND DIRECTOR (Instrumental Music 7-12)
Job | Posted a month ago
MCMINN COUNTY SCHOOLS
Job Title: BAND DIRECTOR Exemption Status: Exempt/ Professional
Reports to: Principal Date Revised: 5/2021
Dept./School: McMinn County High School
Direct and manage the band program at McMinn County High School and feeder bands at Calhoun, Rogers Creek, Riceville, EK Baker, and Niota. Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth and provide an opportunity to participate in Marching Band, Concert Band, and Pep Band. When possible, provide opportunities for extracurricular Jazz Band and Winter Percussion/Colorguard. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
Tennessee Teaching license with endorsement for area of primary teaching assignment
Demonstrated competency in instrumental music
Current first aid, cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and automatic external defibrillator (AED) certificate
Knowledge of overall operation of instrumental music program
Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Knowledge of state laws and rules and regulations governing band
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
Ability to interpret data
Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Student teaching or approved internship and band directing experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Direct instrumental performers, including marching band, orchestra, concert band, soloists, and ensembles.
- Establish performance requirements, enforce academic requirements, and verify each student’s eligibility to participate in band.
- Provide for band participation at extracurricular events, including concerts, football games, pep rallies, and parades.
- Support band booster club activities.
- Develop and implement plans that fulfill the requirements of the district’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned. Present subject matter according to guidelines established by the State Board of Education, board policies, and administrative procedures.
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Work with other members of the staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to district requirements.
- Obtain and use evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to determine program effectiveness and ensure that program renewal is continuous and responds to student needs.
Student Growth and Development
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Be a positive role model for students and support mission of the school district.
Classroom Management and Organization
- Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student discipline in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Accompany and supervise students on out-of-town trips activities and arrange transportation, lodging, and meals for out-of-town events.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with parents, students, colleagues, and community members.
Budget and Inventory
- Develop and administer budget based on documented program needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Coordinate fundraising activities and manage funds.
- Maintain current inventory of all fixed assets related to the program.
- Oversee cleaning, repairing, and storing of all instruments and equipment.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
Professional Growth and Development
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Comply with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rules and regulations and board policy in the band area.
- Assist with recruitment, selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of assistant band directors.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
Supervisory Responsibilities:Monitor the performance of assistant band director.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:Tools/Equipment Used: Personal computer; standard instructional equipment; automated external defibrillator (AED)
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking/marching
Lifting: Regular moderate lifting and carrying (15–44 pounds); may lift and move musical instruments
Environment: Work outside and inside; exposure to extreme temperatures (hot, cold, and inclement weather), humidity, and prolonged sunlight; work on uneven or slippery surfaces; frequent exposure to noise
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress; work prolonged or irregular hours; frequent district and statewide travel
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
McMinn County School District
3 South Hill Street , Athens, TN 373034289
At the following locations
Central High School
145 County Road 461 , Englewood, TN 37329