FOREIGN LANGUAGE TEACHER (SPANISH GRADES 9-12)
Job | Posted a month ago
MCMINN COUNTY SCHOOLS JD: 5.103.120
Job Title: FOREIGN LANGUAGE TEACHER Exemption Status: Exempt
Reports to: Principal, Vice Principal, Instructional Supervisor
Dept./School: As Assigned
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' knowledge, skills and abilities in comprehending, speaking, reading and writing a language other than English, and to develop an understanding and appreciation of the native culture of the countries where the language is the primary means of communication.
- Tennessee Teaching License
- Endorsement for area of primary teaching assignment
- No prior experience required, but teachers without experience will be assigned a veteran mentor.
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of the identified language, in terms of grammar, word usage, word denotations and connotations, and literature.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Develops and administers foreign language education curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans to challenge students and best utilize the available time for instruction (provide evidence when requested)
- Teaches knowledge and skills in a language other than English, including comprehension, grammar and syntax, sentence and paragraph structure, composition, vocabulary and proper word usage, colloquialisms, communication and translation of literature.
- Develops student understanding and appreciation of the cultures and mores of countries where the language is the predominant or a major means of communication.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and monitor students’ progress toward mastery of standards via formative assessments and recognize accomplishments as appropriate and applicable.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings as requested
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Follow all accommodations and modifications deemed appropriate by an IEP, 504, or administrative agreement.
- Arrive to the campus punctually and remain present and engaged for all work hours as determined by principal.
- Work with colleagues to establish and maintain a collaborative environment for planning, delivering, and reflecting on instruction and student data. Attend all building-level and district PLC’s.
- Maintain a classroom culture that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity of students. Set standards for appropriate behavior, communication, and mutual respect.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Facilitate learning for students using only Tennessee Curriculum Standards and curriculum that is vetted and approved by the McMinn Board of Education.
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and technology for brick & mortar students as well as students who are remote learning, alternatively placed, or on homebound status.
- Monitor students’ progress toward mastery of standards via formative assessments and recognize accomplishments as appropriate and applicable.
- Protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintain and communicate accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, policy, and administrative regulation.
- Enforce and reinforce school policies and procedures.
- Make provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Strive to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees as required
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Performance will be evaluated in accordance with evaluation procedures, policy, and regulations of the Tennessee Department of Education.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Personal computer; standard instructional equipment
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking
Lifting: Regular light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); may lift and move text books and classroom equipment
Environment: Work inside, may work outside; regular exposure to noise
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress; work prolonged or irregular hours
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
McMinn County School District
3 South Hill Street , Athens, TN 373034289
At the following locations
McMinn County High School
2215 Congress Pkwy S , Athens, TN 37303