High School Dual Language Immersion Spanish Teacher
Job | Posted 10 days ago
Generic Instructional Faculty
High School Spanish Dual Immersion Teacher
Position Purpose: Under the direction of the school principal, the Spanish Dual Immersion Teacher is responsible for the education of assigned students and will create a flexible program and class environment favorable for learning and personal growth. The teacher will teach Spanish literacy skills and identified content subjects to students through the exclusive use of the Spanish language and using the Utah Foreign Language Dual Immersion Model. Professional relations will be developed and maintained with other staff and parents.
Essential Functions: Regular attendance and timeliness is an essential job function to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Provides learning experiences and teaches lessons to meet objectives by following the approved curriculum map provided by the District and the Utah Dual Language Immersion consortium, which follows the Utah State Core Curriculum.
- Teaches assigned courses exclusively using the Spanish language for the purpose of creating fluency in foreign language while teaching basic elementary subjects in a dual immersion setting.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Facilitates active learning experiences fluently in Spanish for the purpose of engaging learners at the optimum level. Immerses students in the Spanish language, literature, and culture while teaching assigned core subjects for the purpose of maximizing the language learning experience.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed including response to interventions.
- Instructs students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters specified in applicable laws, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of the school system.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learning of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other elementary professional staff members, especially within grade level, to evaluate and assess curriculum, and participates in faculty meetings and committees. Participates in the PLC, Professional Learning Community, program.
- Uses appropriate books, instructional aids, other supplies, equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Supervises students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day, including activities involving school transportation.
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with District testing programs.
Additional DutiesPerforms other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard and current electronics, technology and equipment such as personal computers, printer, LCD, Smartboard, document camera, voice enhancement equipment, etc.
Work Environment: Works in classroom and school building environments.
DLI teachers may be shared between schools and required to travel. Travel to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiating instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of elementary school curriculum and concepts.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network systems and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Applicants must have an Active Utah teaching license in Elementary Education or Secondary Education or have the ability to obtain a current Utah teaching license in Elementary Education or Secondary Education as outlined by the guidelines of the Utah State Board of Education.
Also, applicants must have or be eligible to obtain a World Language Endorsement for Spanish AND a Dual Immersion Endorsement.
USBE License Level: AEL or Professional
Note for Teachers licensed outside of Utah: Reciprocity with other states regarding licensure is not guaranteed and is contingent on fulfilling minimum license and endorsement requirements for Utah. For more information about obtaining a Utah license go to:
Language Skills: Must be fluent in Spanish and English
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in Elementary or Secondary Education or related discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree in related area preferred.
Successful prior teaching or student teaching experience for the appropriate grade levels a plus.
Application Procedure: Apply onlineFLSA Status: Exempt
Full time, 187 days, paid over 12 months Certified Salary Schedule
Benefit Eligible, 8 days sick leave and 4 personal leave days per fiscal year
Tooele County School District
92 Lodestone Way , Tooele, UT 840748050