Dimensions Academy High School Science Teacher
Job | Posted 15 days ago
Job Title: Science Teacher
Credentials: Current Oklahoma Teaching Certificate with endorsements for the appropriate level/subject area.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field from College/university recognized by State Board of Education.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
Reports to: Building Principal
Contract: 182 days (+ New Teacher Induction week for teachers new to NPS)
Salary Schedule: Certified Salary Schedule.
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' skills and competence in one or more fields of science, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, and physics; develops students’ skills and abilities in scientific methods and problem-solving, as well as an understanding of the application of science in the solution of practical problems.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in one or more fields of science, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, and physics, in accordance with district curriculum.
- Promotes critical and creative thinking and analysis in all related subject areas.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials for subject area, and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Designs learning activities to demonstrate the application of science to everyday existence, including scientific research projects, demonstrations, experiments, and laboratory activities.
- Instructs students in the proper use and care of scientific equipment, chemicals, and plant and animal life.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Maintains familiarity with district and Connecticut State standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum to maximize student achievement on such tests.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment, maintains inventory records, and ensures equipment is in good working order.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
- Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of a wide range of science subject areas, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, physics, and other related areas (e.g., mathematics).
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Norman Public Schools
131 South Flood , Norman, OK 73069