Environmental Science Teacher (Biology or Earth Science Endorsement)
Job | Posted a month ago
Job Title: Environmental Science Teacher (Biology or Earth Science Endorsed)
Contract Length: 200 Days
Job Classification: Exempt
2023-2024 school year or immediate start date
Position is responsible for creating a classroom environment that develops in each student an awareness of the role of science in economic and social progress; that motivates each student to acquire knowledge of scientific facts and principles, and skills in scientific methods of problem solving; and that discovers and develops special talents of students in scientific fields.
- Teaches skills, knowledge, and scientific attitudes through courses in general science, biology, chemistry, physics, physiology, or science problems to students, utilizing curriculum designated by Essex County Public Schools.
- Develops lesson plans and supplementary materials compatible with the division’s basic instructional philosophy and congruent with course / SOL standards; provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student and subgroups of students.
- Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of Essex County Public Schools.
- Plans a science program involving demonstrations, lectures, discussions, and student experiments; organizes laboratory activities for optimal learning.
- Demonstrates scientific concepts by use of scientific apparatus, experiments, and standard or prepared charts, sketches, and other instructional aids.
- Provides individual or small group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students and to accommodate circumstances where a variety of projects and experiments are being worked on simultaneously.
- Instructs students in the proper use, care and safe handling of chemicals, science equipment, and plant and animal life.
- Evaluates academic and social growth of students, prepares report cards, assessments, longitudinal data, and keeps appropriate records to include attendance reports, checklists, and other recordkeeping activities as necessary.
- Provides for safe storage and proper use of materials, equipment and tools.
- Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions, laboratory sessions and field trips.
- Evaluates each student’s growth in knowledge and skills in the course being taught.
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on student progress.
- Supervises students in assigned out of classroom activities during the working day.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Administers testing in accordance with division testing practices. 16.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings and other professional activities.
- Participates in various student and parent activities which occur in school including student clubs, after-school activities, and special events.
- Creates an effective learning environment through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and activity/learning centers.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or other appropriate administrator aligned with the mission and vision of Essex County Public Schools.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Must possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education or a related field and meet the Virginia Department of Education licensure eligibility requirements to teach science. Must be eligible for, or in possession or an appropriate Virginia teaching license. Must possess ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the public.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds; and to bend, stoop, climb stairs, and reach overhead.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Duties are normally performed in a school/classroom environment. Duties may be occasionally performed on field trips away from school. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Dependent on grade level and subject; may include instructional assistants, volunteers, and tutors.
Essex County Schools
P.O. Box 756 , Tappahannock, VA 22560
At the following locations
Essex High School
833 High School Circle , Tappahannock, VA 22560