Paraprofessional, Special Education-Severe
Under the direct supervision of a certified staff member, to assist certified professional staff with students in the classroom to meet instructional goals and objectives, and to free certified professional employees to enable them to make a contribution to other aspects of the educational program.
Essential Job Functions
• Assists and guides students to reinforce reading, language arts, mathematics, computer instruction, and other skills.
• Works with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning and implement assigned programs.
• Assists professional staff in the administration and correction of classroom exercises, tests and assessments.
• Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs.
• Assists with record-keeping procedures to document student learning and performance.
• Assists with classroom behavioral management to minimize disruptions, ensure a safe and orderly classroom, and ensure students are on task.
• Assists students in non-instructional areas, such as supervising the student lunch programs, bus duty, playground duty, corridor, study hall, and other related non-instructional areas.
• Accompanies students on field trips for the purpose of assisting with supervision.
• Constructs, copies, distributes and uses educational materials as needed.
• Assists teacher with parent contact as requested to foster effective and participatory parent involvement in student education.
• Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper manner of assistance for all students, including those with disabilities or other special needs.
• Assist guidance, pupil services staff, or building administration, as needed.
• Perform any other related duties as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
• Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
• Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students.
• Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g..., Word, Excel).
• Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
• Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
• Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
• Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
• Works in standard office and school building environments.
• Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
FLSA Status: Non-exempt