23-24 Library Media Specialist
Job | Posted 24 days ago
|Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
POSITION: LIBRARY/MEDIA SPECIALIST
- Pay scale: Teacher Salary Scale: https://www.mpark.net/departments/human_resources
- Position Length: 10 months/200 days
- Hours: Full time unless otherwise specified
The Library Media Specialist facilitates the efficient operation of the school’s library services. The media specialist is responsible for providing all students with an enriched library environment, containing a wide variety of materials that will invite intellectual growth and research, and aiding all students in acquiring the skills needed to take full advantage of media center resources. The media specialist reports to the principal and assistant principal.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
- Must hold a Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university. Master's degree preferred. Must have completed an approved program for Library Media Specialist.
- Valid Virginia Department of Education license with an endorsement in Library Media, or eligibility to obtain.
- Experience in computer technology or willing to pursue appropriate technology training as required by position.
- Must demonstrate effective knowledge of and be sensitive to the needs of a diverse student population.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with students, parents and school personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: (including but not limited to the following)
- Complies with all school laws, State Board of Education regulations, and all policies and regulations made by the School Board and Superintendent.
- Performs all duties deemed necessary by the School Board and Superintendent for the efficient and successful operation of the school system.
- Integrates library media program into the curriculum.
- Assists teachers in the selection of books and other instructional materials, and makes media center materials available to supplement the instructional program.
- Fosters a welcoming environment in the media center.
- Selects, purchases, manages, and maintains the library collection.
- Plans instructional activities cooperatively with teachers to enhance the curriculum and meet student information needs.
- Informs teachers and other staff members about new materials acquired by the media center.
- Maintains a comprehensive and efficient system for cataloging all media center materials and instructs teachers and students on the use of the system.
- Ensures equity of access to resources for all students.
- Helps students to develop habits of independent reference work and skill in the use of reference materials in relation to planned assignments.
- Works cooperatively with the all staff members and interacts in a positive manner with parents and other community representatives.
- Participates in grade level, department, school, and district curriculum design and assessment projects.
- Acts as liaison with public libraries and other outside resources.
- Develops methods and techniques for promoting the role of the library media program in the school and community
- Implements policies and procedures for maintaining control systems for the library media, equipment, and facilities
- Maintains professional competence by attending staff development programs, curriculum development meetings and other professional activities.
- Knows legislation such as copyright laws which affects the library media programs and makes appropriate application to library media center operations and disseminates guidelines to faculty and staff.
- Maintains records as required by law, School Board policies and regulations and strives to be prompt and accurate with required records and reports.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the principal, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public through the
use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions will be required.
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Screening
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.
Manassas Park City Schools
One Park Center Court Suite A, Manassas Park, VA 20111
At the following locations
Manassas Park High
8200 Euclid Avenue , Manassas Park, VA 20111