School Safety Officer (SSO)
Job | Posted a month ago
|Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
POSITION: School Safety Officer
- Pay: Non-exempt - $26.55 – $35.85 per hour
- Position Length: 186 days, 7.5 hours per day
- Hours: To be set in conjunction with the Building Administrator
The School Safety Officer provides safety and security services for all students and
staff; analyze situations and take quick, effective, and reasonable action
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
• Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, administration, and
• Ability to take direction and plan actions adherent to directions.
• Ability to supervise students in unstructured situations.
• Possession of excellent decision making and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to deal courteously and fairly with the general public, school staff, and
• Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
• Must conform to all requirements pursuant to the Code of Virginia and the
Virginia Administrative Code for certification.
• Within a reasonable amount of time after coming into the position, must receive
the School Security Officer Certification through the Virginia Department of
Criminal Justice Services and maintain certification by completing 16 hours of
related in-service training every 2 years.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: (including but not limited to the following)
• Patrols and monitors assigned areas of the school buildings, grounds, and
parking lots to deter, detect, report, and stop violations of the law and/or school
board policies or unsafe conditions.
• Detects, investigates, and reports unauthorized or suspicious persons, vehicles,
• Collaborates with other school and district personnel, assigned police officer,
representatives of local agencies for the purpose of sharing and gaining
• Assists administrators and staff in crisis and emergency situations, assists with
fire drills, and emergency building evacuations
• Maintains security records, logs, and reports as required.
• Monitors the parking lot(s).
• Supervises and directs student movement.
• Intervenes and diffuses conflict situations in common areas, restrooms, and classrooms.
• Establishes a good rapport with students, staff, and community members.
• Assists the administration with student searches; determines the status of
• Works with school administrators and law enforcement officials in handling serious student offenses and law violations.
• Attends student conferences as requested by administration.
• Assists with students experiencing tardy/attendance issues as needed.
• Monitors all assemblies.
• Participates in daily bus duty.
• Escorts students to and from classrooms and offices as needed.
• Attends support staff meetings as required.
• Mentors students informally at the request of administration and parents.
• Assists with crowd control.
• Assists the administration during emergencies and drills and provides assistance
to special needs students during emergency drills.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public through the
use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions will be required.
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Screening
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.