Job | Posted a month ago
|Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
POSITION: Bus Attendant
- Pay: Non-exempt - $14.00 per hour
- Position Length: 186 days
- Hours: To be set in conjunction with the Director of Transportation
The Bus Attendant assists students while they are being transported to and from school and provides a consistent environment, discipline, and guidance for the students while they are on the bus.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Requires current First Aid and CPR certification, or willingness to obtain certification before start of employment.
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English; Spanish language proficiency a plus.
- Able to do moderate lifting, operate a wheelchair lift, and assist students on and off the bus, if needed.
- Able to be patient and understanding with children.
- Able to stay calm in emergencies.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school officials, co-workers, parents, and students.
- Willing and able to work 6:30am-9:00am and 1:30pm-4:30pm every school day
- Assists Bus Driver in maintaining the interior cleanliness, appearance, sanitation, and safety of the bus.
- Assists in conducting emergency evacuation drills to ensure the efficiency of procedures and compliance with mandated requirements.
- Assists students (e.g. tying shoes, mittens, hats, coats, personal hygiene, etc.) with their needs during transport and in the safe loading and unloading from buses including both emergency situations and normal transport.
- Communicates with parents, teachers, Bus Drivers, or administration regarding behavior issues, activities, special pickup/drop-off schedules, etc.
- Implements aspects of behavior plans as directed to assist in meeting special education students’ needs and providing a consistent environment.
- Informs students of bus safety and requirements enforce rules and regulations and provide positive discipline and guidance for students.
- Operates wheelchair lifts and repositions students and/or equipment as appropriate.
- Maintains emergency information to ensure the availability of information and/or instructions as required.
- Diffuses student behavioral situations to prevent distraction to the driver or injury to themselves or other students/passengers.
- Prepares written materials (e.g. behavior reports, medication logs, referrals, route descriptions).
- Reports observations and incidents (e.g. discipline, accidents, inappropriate social behavior, etc.) and communicates information to appropriate personnel.
- Responds to emergency situations and addresses immediate safety concerns.
- Secures students and/or equipment (e.g. wheelchairs, car seats, restraints, seat belts, etc.) to ensure the safety and welfare of students.
- Assists other personnel as may be required to ensure an efficient and effective work environment.
- Attends meetings (e.g. training, in-service, discipline meetings, conferences, etc.) to convey or receive information required to perform functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public through the
use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions will be required.
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
- Tuberculosis Screening
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.