Instructional Assistant (non-special education)
Manassas Park City Schools
100 Park Central Plaza, Suite 300
Manassas Park, Virginia 20111
POSITION: INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT (NON-SPECIAL EDUCATION)
• Pay scale: IA -Grade G, Non-Exempt: https://www.mpark.net/departments/human_resources
• Position Length: 7.5 hours 186 days
• Hours: Full time unless otherwise specified
To assist students as directed by the classroom instructor and help make the classroom a
challenging, safe and stimulating learning environment. The Instructional Assistant reports to the classroom teacher and/or the school-based administrator.
REQUISITE EDUCATION AND SKILLS:
• High school diploma or equivalency required.
• Previous experience working with groups of children desired.
• Ability to work with various ability levels of student.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions and directions in carrying out tasks and procedures related to instructional and behavioral plans.
• Ability to assist teacher with instructional activities and classroom management.
• Must possess interpersonal communication skills and the professional and personal characteristics necessary for working with parents, students and school personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: (including but not limited to the following)
• Complies with all school laws, State Board of Education regulations, and all policies and regulations made by the School Board and Superintendent.
• Performs all duties deemed necessary by the School Board and Superintendent for the efficient and successful operation of the school system.
• Support the classroom instructor by assisting the students as needed or directed.
• Observe and manage student behavior and collaborate with teacher on behavior plans and their implementation.
• Help prepare the classroom for daily instruction and help clean up the classroom at the end of the day.
• Prepare instructional materials as requested; perform designated learning tasks with students covering lessons, topics and exercises; demonstrate or explain lessons; ask questions and prompt students for answers.
• Work with students requiring individual or close attention and those experiencing difficulty; reinforce skills taught by the classroom teacher to small and large groups.
• Assist with instructional activities; aids the instructor in administering individual student assessments.
• Escort students on field trips and at school; escort and assist students in physical and playground activities; accompany children to restrooms.
• Maintain bulletin boards, student records for daily attendance, lunch tickets, health charts and classroom supplies.
• Attend meetings and in-service presentations to acquire and convey information relative to job functions.
• Work flexibly between classrooms or instructors as necessary to support learning.
• Assists in the preparation of instructional materials.
• Assists classroom teacher in maintaining appropriate level of classroom behavior and control.
• Helps students individually and in small groups on assignments and activities.
• Supervises students in the absence of the classroom teacher.
• Performs clerical and instructional duties as assigned by the classroom teacher and/or building principal.
• Assists teacher with maintenance of instructional materials, equipment and bulletin boards.
• Attends in-service and workshop meetings as assigned by the building principal/assistant principal.
• Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the principal, to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Must have the ability to effectively communicate and interact with other staff and the public through the
use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment such as, but not limited to, a personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. Some climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, and repetitive motions will be required.
CLEARANCES (Conditions for employment):
• Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
• Tuberculosis Screening
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Manassas Park City Schools assures Equal Employment Opportunities and equal education opportunities for employees and students as required by Federal and State Orders and Laws. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks. This job description is intended to accurately reflect the position activities and requirements. However, management and administration reserve the right to modify, add, or remove duties and assign other duties as necessary. It is not intended to be and should not be construed as an all-inclusive list of all the responsibilities, skills, or working conditions associated with the position.