JobID 311 : AVID Tutor (#370702)
AVID TUTORS NEEDED FOR SCHOOL YEAR 2019-2020
Work under the direction of the AVID elective teacher to facilitate and coach small groups of scholars engaged in academic problem solving. Interact as an academic coach to further scholar understanding and deepen their learning. Position is open at Middle and High School AVID sites.
Tutors will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Facilitate AVID elective tutoring sessions.
- Determine from scholar notes and discussions, learning concepts needing to be taught or retaught.
- Evaluate scholar binders, including calendars, class and textbook notes.
- Become familiar with material in the AVID Curriculum libraries.
- Become familiar with the textbooks and materials used by AVID scholars.
- Become familiar with the AVID web-site resources.
- Conduct tutorial sessions and mini-lessons in the process of writing and reading in all subject areas, study skills and other aspects of college preparation.
- Work with scholars in any phases of the writing process, such as brainstorming, clustering, revision, editing and as a model themselves in the practice of close reading strategies.
- Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for all AVID scholars.
- Communicate frequently and honestly with the AVID coordinator/AVID elective teacher regarding scholarly progress and areas of concern.
- Act as a role model and mentor for scholars.
- High school graduate.
- Preferably current enrollment in a local college, but will consider all candidates who desire to work with scholars in an academic setting.
- Strong Math and English background required.
- Ability to work with students from a variety of backgrounds.
- Must be dependable.
- Must model professionalism at all times.
- The District is looking for reliable individuals, committed to their work site and punctual.
- Applicants must want and like to work with middle school and/or high school students.
- Tutors are not allowed to date students or be a "best buddy" to a student.
Must apply online at www.hsd2.org and set up application file. Once you have completed your file, you must apply for each vacancy from the website that is of interest to you to be considered a candidate.
FLSA – Exempt