School Counselor - High School- 2022-2023 School Year
School Counselor - High School- Immediate Opening 2022-2023
Provide leadership for the implementation of a comprehensive school based school counseling program designed to support instruction and student achievement. Responsible for the coordination, supervision, and management of the school counseling program as well as the school counselor responsibilities.
• Develop an effective school counseling program that supports the school’s mission and instructional program as mandated by school board policy.
• Coordinate the implementation of a comprehensive school counseling program that promotes the academic, career, and personal/social development of all students.
• Keep the administration appraised of the progress of the department and any problems encountered.
• Establish and maintain an effective work climate within the school counseling department and school community.
• Promote innovative counseling practices by encouraging implementation of new procedures and demonstrating those that are found to be effective.
• Prepare or supervise the preparation of reports, records, lists, and all other required information and data.
• Review school data frequently to ensure that the school counseling program is meeting the academic, career, and personal/social development of all students.
• Coordinate course and summer registration period.
• Explain and interpret division-wide policies, goals and objectives to students, parents, and the community that impact student’s academic achievement and the school counseling program.
• Plan, organize, and direct implementation of all school counseling activities.
• Supervise and evaluate all school counseling activities and programs.
• Review all outgoing correspondence from school counseling department.
• Work closely with school administration and assist with master schedule, as it relates to student scheduling.
• Work collaboratively with department chairs.
• Serve with parents, faculty, and other student groups, as requested, in advancing educational and related activities and objectives.
• Share information with other school personnel as appropriate.
• Serves as the primary testing coordinator for the school and works with the Division Director of Testing to ensure testing compliance.
• Provide in-services for instructional staff.
• Maintain confidentiality in student and staff matters.
• Encourage teacher/parent communication and community involvement.
• Meet and confer with students, parents, faculty and staff.
• Provides services to students in the area of academic, personal/social and career development.
• Counsels students individually and in small groups.
• Adheres to deadlines.
• Attends division-wide guidance meetings.
• Maintains a variety of files and departmental library of supplementary and reference materials.
• Serves as the official representative for the department.
• Performs related work as required.
* Attends counselor-related division/school activities (Graduation, Awards Ceremonies, etc.).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Thorough knowledge of current trends and best practices for providing a comprehensive school counseling program at the secondary level; knowledge of counseling theories and skills, group dynamics and small group processes, the ability to provide leadership in the administration and supervision of a school counseling; ability to motivate others to reach their fullest potential; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school officials, parents, students, teachers, support staff and associates; excellent oral and written communication skills; expertise with technology.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s Degree from an approved school counselor education program; or endorsement in school counseling with Virginia certification in school counseling.
Experience as a secondary school counselor preferred.
Must hold or be eligible for a Virginia license in school counseling PreK-12.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.