Human Resources Specialist
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Grade: 12 (Educational Support)
Revision Date: July 2, 2018
Location: Central Office
This position provides staff support to assigned, specified areas for recruitment of qualified personnel, including tutors, substitutes, custodians, bus drivers/aides, and food services staff needed to meet the School Division’s objectives while maintaining active involvement in other areas of Human Resources as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs general communication duties for the department providing information for applicants, screening calls, scheduling appointments, etc.
- Assists in the recruitment and hiring processes for support staff.
- Maintains listing of substitutes for assigned positions.
- Conducts/verifies reference checks for non-exempt positions.
- Process licensure requests for new hires and current employees.
- Conducts orientation for new employees under their area of responsibility.
- Assists Director of Employment and Human Resources Coordinators.
- Makes photocopies, faxes documents, and performs other clerical functions.
- Participates in staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars as assigned.
- Performs customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions.
- Processes new employee paperwork according to deadlines, including fingerprinting, I-9s, tax forms, Social Services Child Protective Services form. Verifies forms to be accurate and complete. Notarizes forms as needed.
- Provides data related to fill rates, licensure status, applicant pool, etc. when requested.
- HR/Payroll database maintenance – set up new employees, make changes, process separations.
- Prepares contracts/letters of employment for new hires.
- Assist with preparation for school division’s annual teacher job fair, new teacher orientation, and other events as assigned.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
High School diploma (Bachelor’s Degree preferred) and 2-4 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with HR/Payroll database systems. Strong attention to detail. Strong organization skills. Ability to proofread all work, and perform data entry of information into employee database. Ability to handle a variety of tasks in a fast paced environment. Ability to speak clearly to communicate with applicants, department managers, and employees. Excellent communication skills necessary to positively interact with staff, applicants, and the community.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Director of Employment
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to handle frequent deadlines, high volume of work, and the ability to prioritize. Must have the ability to sit for long periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to use equipment; see and read printed material with or without vision aids; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly; physical agility to lift and carry up to 25 pounds; to bend, to stoop, to walk and to reach overhead. Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.